Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Aug 27, 2008, 8:20 PM   #1

Not sure this meets the challenge. If not, I'm sure someone will let me know.

This was taken week before last in Quebec. It is St Patrick's Church in old Quebec established in 1832. It was destroyed by fire some time after 1967. But, the outer shell survived and is the home of the Cancer Research Center run by the Hôtel-Dieu Hospital a block away.

I'm still not sure I like this photo. I was trying to find a different way to capture the building besides just photographing it. I wish I could have gotten the whole church in just one of the panels of glass.

Patty

I guess it doesn't qualify in that it's distorted by the breaks in the panels in the glass.

Attached Images

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2008, 8:34 PM   #2

Its a good reflected image. All things are focus so it looks ok to me. But what do I know?
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2008, 10:10 PM   #3

Yes, it certainly is acceptable. If want to look at it this way, it is a group of reflections working in harmony with each other. Wow! Where did that come from? :-?

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2008, 11:05 PM   #4

Patty,

Very nice job. The panels add a desireable indescribeable quality.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 6:51 AM   #5

Thanks Bynx, Cal and Selvin. Now that I think I understand the challenge, I'll try to get some new shots. The weather's good for it here today.

Patty

Old Aug 28, 2008, 11:50 AM   #6

Patty, I was just looking at your photo again and noticed the sign in the lower left corner. My French is not good (read that nonexistent) but I think the sign is for an Oncology Research Clinic. Now that is a strange sign to put in front of an obvious church! This shows that you can come up with some strange images by using reflections and a large DOF.

However, there is precedence for secondary use of church buildings. Here in Beaverton, there are two examples. One is an old colonial style wood church that is now used as a military surplus store. There is another much more modern building that was originally a church but is now a medical clinic.

Cal
Old Aug 29, 2008, 5:21 AM   #7

Kool picture.
yesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2008, 6:49 AM   #8

Cal, the sign you are seeing is actually painted onto the glass of the building the church is reflected in. The church is on one side of the street and after a fire was taken over by the hospital down the street and is used for research. The building you see the sign on is also a research center for the hospital. Just a more modern building. Here is a web page of a little of the history of the church.

http://www.stpatricksquebec.com/page...y/history.html

I'mattaching another non-reflective image of the church. Does anyone know what the metal pipes coming out of the top of the church are? Are they the remnants of the organ mentioned in the web page?

That was the site out our hotel window. The refurbished side of the church and the pipes.

Thanks, Patty
Attached Images

Old Aug 29, 2008, 11:49 AM   #9

Are you sure that's the same building. If it is, it is certainly much more modern than the front part of the church. The metal pipes could be simply ornamental or they could be something musical like chimes. They look like organ pipes but organ pipes would never be out exposed to weather like that. The organ would be ruined in a very short time.

As for the sign, I realized that it was not part of the church. My comment was in regard to how with a large DOF, you can combine foreground elements with reflected elements to get an entirely different image.

Cal

Old Aug 29, 2008, 11:48 PM   #10

I was wondering if the pipes could be exposed like that. Maybe they are just "replicas" as a reminder of the grand organ they had.

I see your thoughts on the sign now. Sorry.

Patty