Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Aug 27, 2008, 9:34 PM   #1

I took this earlier this summer on that rare Kansas day when there was vitrually no wind. A friend who saw this picture thought it was taken in the winter when there was ice cover and snow. The white areas are just cloud reflections. Now if I get a wind free day I want to go back to the same place and try shifting the in focus area to see how the photo could be changed.

Angie
Attached Images

spedangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2008, 9:57 PM   #2

Wow! Great capture!

Having lived in KS for over 20 years, until recently, I know that windless days are extremely rare.

NotDadsW41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2008, 10:13 PM   #3

Nicely done. It would be interesting to see the same scene with glass smooth water. Try early morning, just after sunrise. That's usually the calmest time of day. It is the heat of the day that spawns the daily winds.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2008, 11:01 PM   #4

Nicely done, and I also have the same curiosity as Calr, what would this look like on a windless day.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 2:19 AM   #5

For what seems like a body of water larger than a puddle its amazingly clear and the reflections are ripple free. Nice job.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 6:43 AM   #6

Nice shot. Is this an area where there didin't used to be water. Or, the branches fell into the water?

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 7:37 AM   #7

That's my goal-to get back to this spot and try some different approaches.Cal, I can tell you have probably never been in Kansas. A totally wind/breeze free day happens maybe once a month. My husband gets up with the sunrise and always lets me know IF there is absolutely no wind since that time of day is the best light and when it is calm it's a great time to shoot water scenes. Unfortunately I don't have to make the decision about getting myself up that often if my goal is primarily total calm. This morning for instance the wind was at about 10mph at 6:15am.

This area is fairly protected so with a very light breeze it is doable, but it has to be below 5mph. It's a downstream pond area of a large lake, so 45 years ago it was free of water, Patty you were correct-the branches in the water were once on dry land. I've watched them age over the years but they're hanging in there.

Here's hoping for another wind free day. Angie
spedangie is offline   Reply With Quote