Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Sep 6, 2008, 11:30 AM   #1

Hello everyone!

Well today (Saturday 2008 09 06) was a sure sign of spring here in South Australia... lovely temperatures in the mid 20's - and the sun was shiing all day.

I went for a walk at Para Wirra Recreation Park, about 20 minutes drive from my home <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Para_Wirra_Recreation_Park> It is a lovely nature area of over 1400 hectares

As I have previously submitted a photo where JUST the subject was in focus and the rest was out of focus, this is the opposite possibility (as per the challenge) - that all is in focus.

At the lake I took a photo of the far shoreline and clouds, which reflected nicely in the water. I am happy with this exposure (often I find reflections including sky and clouds hard to get "just right"... but I'm quite happy about this). I had a polariser for extra flexibility. Taken with 18-55mm kit lens on my 350D Canon DSLR.

Thanks for looking!! I was thinking of the challenge on my lovely time out in the bush.

Your comments and feedback are appreciated, as always!

Paul
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2008, 1:02 PM   #2

Thanks for having us join you in such a lovely spot. Nice photo amply meeting the challenge.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2008, 4:39 PM   #3

Beautiful. I like how you got the complete reflection.
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2008, 9:25 PM   #4

Very cool shot, Paul.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2008, 9:54 AM   #5

Nice job, Paul. I am not sure what you were doing with the polarizer but be careful. Polarizers help make spectacular skies but they also can block reflections. When shooting into a window, a polarizer is almost mandatory to eliminate or significantly reduce outside reflections.

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2008, 4:18 PM   #6

Very beautiful photo.
flutelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2008, 5:45 AM   #7

Thank you everyone for your responses. I will reply individually here:

--------------------------------------

Bynx,

Glad you could join me here mate. As the spring gathers momentum here, I will attempt to share some more as you head into autumn (fall) and winter!

Vanessa,

Thanks for noticing that I captured the whole reflection. I did this on purpose! I appreciate your comment.

Patty,

Well, I feel honoured you say my shot is . Thanks!

Cal,

Glad you think it's a nice job. You wrote:
"I am not sure what you were doing with the polarizer but be careful."
Ha... that made me laugh. It almost sounded like "a polariser on the end of your lens could explode if you don't handle it the right way".

I'm fully aware of what a polariser can (and can't) do... but thanks anyway in case I didn't.. (you're always very willing to share your knowledge, which is appreciated).

Maybe I wasn't so clear.. but when I wrote: "I had a polariser for extra flexibility" I mean that with the polariser I could choose how much reflection to have (or not) / whether to highlight the blue sky (or not). I took a few other photos of the lake and at times wanted to minimise the reflections, so that is why it was handy to have the polariser on the lens. Also prior to the lake photos I was taking photos of landscapes including lots of sky and so the polariser really helped in these too.

Flutelady

Last (but not least!) I also genuinely appreciate you stopping by the view and provide your valuable feedback. I feel humbled you think it is a "very beautiful photo"!

Cheers again!

Regards

Paul
Old Sep 8, 2008, 3:43 PM   #8

Love the mood conveyed in this shot. So "reflective" .

Very nicely done. Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2008, 6:31 PM   #9

Great shot. It's very cool seeing springtime pictures as we head into fall in the north. It never ceases to amaze me that we can communicate and share pictures instantly when we're on opposite sides of the globe. Maybe we could have some kind of "trading seasons" challenge on the solstice. I think it would be fun to see weather extremes from all over the world in one 2 week period.
bill.guenthner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2008, 5:01 PM   #10

Hi Selvin

Thanks for your kind comments. I agree, the shot is indeed "reflective"! :-)

Aloha and may the sun shine nicely on you today

--------------------------

Greetings Bill

I am glad you posted. I think what you wrote is very true for me also. Even though I have become very used to technology and the speed with which we can see things happening on the other side of the globe (within minutes, or even at time seconds or instantaneous!) it is good to reflect on the "amazingness" of this!

Maybe your idea of "weather samples" particular to a certain time of the year could be a good idea. So please suggest your "trading seasons" challenge proposal to the mods!

As I live in Australia (a predominantly dry, hot country) when I lived in Europe, particularly Romanian winters - the utter extreme (lots of snow and cold cold cold!) really would be interesting to send back to friends and family who were going through summer at the same time.

Thanks for appreciating my spring shot!

Paul