Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Nov 4, 2008, 7:59 AM   #1

From my archive.

vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2008, 11:05 AM   #2

I hope you don't mind me commenting. Just finally a topic about which I have some experience to share :G

Exposure and focus both look pretty good - not an easy thing to accomplish in indoor sports. So great job there.

The challend is the composition / timing. The tough part is having an interesting subject for a sports photo. Typically one of three things makes a typical sports photo compelling: Expression, peak action or environmental.

Expression refers to the emotional expression upon the subject's face. Whether it's concentration, a Jordan-esque tongue sticking out, pain or exhertion it's that emotional content that draws the viewer into the athlete.

Peak action - This is the more common type of sports photo - in hockey it would be a slap/shot or impact of bodies against the glass - something that captures the 'moment'.

Environmental - some shots are just amazing because of the surroundings. I remember a shot of winder olympics of a skier in the air - but the backdrop of the city below in the distance was what made that shot truly amazing. The crowd going crazy after a touchdown or homerun - a sea of humanity reacting to the thrill of the moment you captured in the foreground. For most of us, we don't get back-drops like this so it's rare to get a shot in this category.

For the hockey shot I think it would be beneficial to the shot to have the puck visible (I can guess where it's at, but not the same thing). And, if possible a little more peak action. If you can't get peak, then get tight on a single player and get expressions.

But I don't want to underplay the importance of the technical things you've done well - exposure, sharpness, focus. All very good!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2008, 4:07 PM   #3

Thanks john, I appreciate the comments and I'm sure your input will be helpful to others as well.
I find local rinks to be exceptionally difficult to shoot in. Besides poor, uneven lighting, I am very often shooting through plexiglass or netting and where i am able to shoot from in the rink is limited.
My daughter will be playing in a "pro" rink in December and I am thrilled to be able to have the opportunity to capture some images there.
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2008, 8:46 PM   #4

This was a tough shot, excellent!

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2008, 7:58 AM   #5

Nice shot, Vanessa, considering the conditions.

John, thanks for the tips on sports shots. I don't get that many opportunities, but will try to remember them when I do.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2008, 11:24 PM   #6

Vsch1,

Glad you got some mileage out of John comments, obviously he's been there before. I like the line up of the girls skating down the rink. Short of having a box seat up front or a photog's pass I can completely sympathize with the difficulties inherent in taking these shots of any indoor sports.

You have almost zero control over lighting, and have to have the skills of a "seer' to know when the right moment is about to present itself. Furthermore, the shot you want is always the shot you just missed.

Thanks for submitting. Aloha

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote