Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Nov 13, 2008, 10:44 AM   #1

Some changes have been made to the forum guidelines, especially to rule #4. The use of post-processing has been significantly expanded to include the use of many of the tools, filter, and effects available in your editor. You may use these tools to enhance your image but not to create Picasso like artforms. Use of the clone tool to remove objectionable elements, relocate elements, import elements from other photos is now permitted. Please do not add any non-photographic elements (e.g. cartoon, etc.) to your image. Merging multiple images by overlaying or in a collage is now permitted. If you make significant enhancements to your posted image, we ask that you post the original image(s) along with the enhanced image.

Rule #1 has been changed in that from now on, only one archive photo will be allowed per challenge unless otherwise stated in the challenge description. There has been far too much use of archive images in recent months and we would really like to see you go out and shoot new images for the challenges

From time to time, in the future, we will have "anything goes" challenges where you will be permitted (and encouraged) to do anything to your image that is morally acceptable in a family oriented forum. In these challenges, there will be a subject as usual, but if you don't feel you have the skills to produce a new digital art piece, you will be allowed to post a new original or enhanced photo.

AlanT, you can delete those power lines now, if you want to.

I want to thank everyone who participated in the poll and discussion on photomanipulation. It was very enlightening. Hopefully, the changes to the rules will make the majority of people happy.

Hopefully, Bynx will be back within the next week or so. I would like to appologize first to Bynx, and second to the forum members for my part in the events that led to his being banned. It was an unfortunate situation that got out of hand. I have spoken to Bynx on the phone twice since that happened and both conversations were very constructive.

Photomanipulation has come of age with digital photography. It has taken some time for me to recognize this and accept it. Photography is a different entity now than it was just ten years ago. Many of the old principles and techniques still apply but many new ones have been added. The darkroom has truly becom digital.

Enjoy yourselves and I look forward to seeing your new photos in the forum. Feel free to post any comments here.

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2008, 6:39 PM   #2

Thanks for the info, Cal!

I like the restriction of archived photos. It's so easy to go through your photo directories and pick out something that's relevant to the challenge- I think that limiting this keeps lazy folk like myself on their toes!
Dr. Mr. Vandertramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2008, 10:58 PM   #3

First I would like to say I'm all for the new rules and think they will work out great for the forum.

But (don't you just hate that word) I have a question on posting. Before we were to post only two pictures at a time. So if we post a modified picture and the original of that picture, does that count as two pictures or one?

Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2008, 7:01 PM   #4

I'm opting out on this forum, after enjoying it for quite some time. I was clearly in the minority in the voting -- the only person who voted to keep the old rules and emphasize going out and shooting. I'm also disappointed that the forum rewarded an individual's past behavior, defiance and rudeness. Anyway, best of luck to all of you.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2008, 7:56 AM   #5

We'll be sorry to see you go WalterC. Your pictures are always inspiring.

I like the new "rules" It still emphasizes going out, even more so with the restrictions on archived photos,composing and shooting photographs. They just allow one to express the feeling of thesubject a little better. I will not do any more or less Photoshopping than I would for any picture I would display on my "wall of fame" at home.

If you don't want to manipulate your photos don't, If you do, then do!!!:|:lol:

Mugmar
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2008, 9:33 AM   #6

Walter, I agree with Mugmar's statements. Artistic, abstract, manipulations are still not allowed except in challenges where it is specified "anything goes". You do not need to do any post processing on your photos and I fully expect that most people will do only minimal PP.

Walter, you have been one of the staunchest supporters of this forum. The forum needs to grow with the industry. Bynx was never asking for unlimited PP. He only wanted the ability to enhance a photo by removing an objectionable tree branch or power line, etc. As for Bynx's return, he has not replied to my email so he may not accept my terms. If he does reply in favor, it may be some time before he is reinstated since JimC left on emergency family matters, yesterday and may not be back for a couple weeks.

I really would like to see you remain. I don't think you are going to see that much change here. I would hope that the one major change is that people are going to go out and shoot NEW photos as opposed to using archive images. My future challenges will be geared to new photos and I am going to encourage Selvin and Vanessa to do likewise.

Please reconsider.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2008, 12:38 PM   #7

Hey WalterC,
I also agree with Mugmar and Cal here, no need to go for you! There are just more different styles of photography accepted now and the changes in rule #1 mean that people are more than encouraged to go out than before. I like the changes as I think a darkroom is a darkroom, be it in the analog/35mm world or in the digital world.

just my 2 cents,
Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2008, 4:25 PM   #8

Hello Walter,

I sure hope you change your mind and decide to stay in the forum.

I will miss seeing your great pictures. Particularly the old cars.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2008, 6:36 PM   #9

Walter,
I consider you to be an artist. You take amazing photos, and I have greatly enjoyed viewing them and learning from you.

I want to be able to continue learning from you.

Just because PP is permitted doesn't mean it has to be done. Some people incorporate body fluids into their art. All fair, i suppose, but I'm not about to go peeing on canvas.

I urge you to reconsider. I feel like i still can learn a thing or two about shooting from you. You have a great eye and it's photos like yours which have helped me plan my shot before shooting.

I nailed this one right out of the camera earlier this summer. I tweaked the colours, but this is exactly how i planned the shot and it worked well (i think).

The attached picture just would not be possible without PP. At peggy's cove, throngs of tourists swarm the rocks. I am unashamed to say that i ruthlessly cloned out the people in this shot. It looks better now. It is what i wanted to convey when i took the photo.

Think about it.
Attached Images

Dr. Mr. Vandertramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2008, 12:37 AM   #10

OK, OK. I'll stick around and see how it goes. It's just that I got so disgusted awhile back and would hate to see that kind of environment creep back into this forum. Thanks for the kind words and encouragement.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote