Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Nov 21, 2008, 9:49 AM   #1

Actually it's three graves and a memento of my wife's grandparents' wedding in 1918. The inscription on the plinth of the headstone on the right, visible only as the "...RS" peeping out of the heather says "Married for 70 years". I showed the whole headstone in a previous challenge. They died in their 90s, living for many years in a granny flat on the end of my in-laws' house, across the churchyard from our house.

Actually, it's technically four funerals and a wedding, because when I though of the idea this morning, musing on the rather similar film title, I'd forgotten about Mrs' Jukes' grave between theirs and the fresh grave with flowers on it. I didn't know her. But it'll do, anyway.

The fresh grave with flowers, butas yetno headstone, is laden with emotion for us as well. There lies Josh Swift, who attended a tiny local primary school with my son. He was killed, aged 17,a few weeks ago by a blameless driver, after a moment's inattention when crossing the main road near his home about a mile away. He was a talented dancer and musician, attending a dance school in Chester.

I was trimming our hedge when his parents arrived to choose his grave plot. His mother, whom I remembered only faintly, stopped, flung her arms around me and hugged me, with tears streaming down her face. My tears streamed too.

I attended the funeral, and my wife is going to Josh's memorial concert at his school tonight.
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2008, 10:09 AM   #2

Here's the wedding bit without the heather...
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2008, 11:19 AM   #3

Thank you for the narrative, Alan. It is a very touching story. However, without the narrative, the 3 + 1 connection is not obvious. Your tea time and coffee time shots were much better at meeting the challenge.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2008, 11:58 PM   #4

I agree with Cal, this really stretches to meet the challenge. However, I think a good anecdote goes a long way and I really appreciate it. It was worth a tear from me as I look over at my son and appreciate that he is safe and sound.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2008, 12:50 AM   #5

This whole forum in designed to make us stretch, so stretching is good.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote