Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Dec 4, 2008, 8:54 AM   #1

Since a child, living with Mr and Mrs Bynx, it has been a tradition in our house to keep a good supply of Tangarines which were readily available during the holiday season. Imported from Morocco and southern Europe they were popular for many years. However, for a number of years now the tangarine has been replaced by the Clemintine. The perfect fruit. Small, round, and almost seedless its a cross between an eating orange and a mandarin. It is a true pleasure to slowly pull down the outer covering, exposing the rich texture of the skin beneath. Succulent and sweet, a true gourmets delight.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2008, 12:13 PM   #2

I like your photo but disagree with your description of Clementines being seedless. We have a box of Clementines in the refrigerator right now and there are definitely a few seeds in each one. Despite that, they are delicious.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2008, 2:39 PM   #3

Very impressive lighting! The clementine almost looks like it's glowing.
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2008, 3:08 PM   #4

Actually it is glowing Vsch. After peeling the clemintine I divided it in half so it is only half as thick. Then I took a small penlight flashlight laid it on the glass and propped the clemintine in front of it. The light is shinging through. Another small penlight was shone on the peel. Enough to try to balance the light with each other. So only light for the entire pic is 2 penlights.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 4:03 PM   #5

Another nice Bynx lighting effect. Very enticing picture.

Mugmar
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2008, 3:20 AM   #6

The lighting is fantastic!

When the challenge came up, I never thought of the "simple" food, but rather the opulent food, like a christmas goose - and that's nothing we eat BEFORE christmas.

I'll try a "wider" approach... lets see if I can find something to shoot.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2008, 6:24 AM   #7

I think any kind of food which is unique to a particular country even though maybe eaten in another. Im sure Selvin can show us some poi or a simple Hawaiian breakfast. We have a pretty diverse group of people here from all around the globe. Lets see what you eat. This doesnt have to be Santa Clause and Hannukah bushes food.

Old Dec 8, 2008, 3:00 AM   #8

Bynx,

Citrus fruit especially tangerines are a traditional Japanese food this time of year. Furthermore they are displayed with a few leaves still attached at the base of the family altar/shrine.

It is interesting to note that the fruit are left there before Christmas until after New Year's. You don't want to inadvertently place a rotten fruit at the shrine. It would definitely be a bummer.

Despite having phrases for Christmas and New Year (Mele Kalikimaka, and Hau'oli Makahiki Hou) the Hawaiians do not have any significant traditional feasts etc. around Christmas time. The phrases are a concession of course to the mainland.

That didn't stop the Hawaiians from knowing when to have a great feast (luau). Here's an example of a Hawaiian plate lunch. The grey stuff is poi, the chopped tomato dish is lomi lomi (massaged) salmon, the shredded meat is Kalua pig, the translucent noodles on the lower right is chicken long rice, and finally, the green glob is a laulau. This is a piece of pork and salted fish wrapped in taro leaves and thoroughly steamed for several hours.

I'm waiting for an opportunity to get some good pictures of the traditional Japanese fare (sashimi, kuromame, and ????). I actually haven't been anywhere near a mall recently. Gotta get going and help the economy.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2008, 6:58 AM   #9

Well thats making me hungry. By the looks of it I think I would like to try some poi. Thanks Selvin.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 1:00 PM   #10

It all looks delicious except the poi. The last time I was in the islands, I went to a luau on Maui and had an opportunity to sample poi. However, I couldn't get past the appearance so tried everything else instead!

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote