Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Dec 8, 2008, 11:28 AM   #11

Food shots are not something we had ever really thought about. So we have none in our archives to use as our freebie, and we have not prepared any holiday related food since this challenge started. If the opportunity arises during the time of this challenge (hopefully it will be extended till the end of the year) we will take some pictures and post them.

In the meantime, we enjoy looking and commenting on the ones that are posted.

Bynx, we've mentioned this before, your shots are an inspiration and they give us ideas of things to try, sometimes our (and I'm sure others) attempts do not work out well enough to show off or post.

So to all, enjoy the holidays, take lots of pictures, and have fun.

Mugmar

Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2008, 5:51 PM   #12

I think i'll have about one day to do any christmas food shooting. I would love to be participating more, but with report cards/parent-teacher interviews just over, I have been pretty drained. I would also love to have the option to shoot non-holiday foods at some point.

Also, Bynx, Ajax and Honolulu are a pretty odd pair - Ajax and Port Perry, on the other hand... :lol:
Dr. Mr. Vandertramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2008, 6:10 PM   #13

This challenge is a real challenge. We don't start doing our holiday foods until much closer to Christmas. Right now, our food is still the normal everyday stuff.

I might have a fruit cake in my archives. They can last a long time. :-)
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2008, 10:57 PM   #14

Come on, you are all dancing around the real reason for the low post count. Most of the people here a male (wish there were more females) photographers and we all know that most men don't cook. Though we are smart enough to know better than to ask our wife's to cook something special just so it can be photographed and posted.:?:GSo that is my take on why there are so few tasty photos posted so far.:G
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2008, 11:35 PM   #15

Calicajun,

Thanks for your insight. That gender issue did not cross my mind while posting this challenge.

IMPORTANT

I note that a number of individuals atumatically assumed that my reference to "traditional holiday foods" meant 1)it had to be the food they prepared/ate on December 25th. 2) they had to do the preparation, and 3) it had to be something at their home.

Obviously none of the above are true.

The array of foods that are available for photography prior to the season is bewildering. Yes, for many this challenge means a tad more work since as someone pointed out they don't normally archive food photos. But, as Bynx and Alan has shown us, be creative. We aren't looking for the Norman Rockwell thanksgiving dinner portrait here.

Yes, there are many other demands on our time this time of the year, however, I would hope that we can steal a few minutes and show others what's happening in your neck of the woods.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2008, 1:54 AM   #16

I work 12 hour "daze" 5:00 pm to 5:00 am. So I can only "play" on my days off, but by the time I get up the sun is going down. plus I seem to be in a slump. Nothing I shoot lately comes out right. Plus if anybody is wondering why I never comment or type much. I am dyslexic and cant do this very good. It has taken me over half an hour just to type this.
~BC~

bigchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2008, 4:19 AM   #17

Hey BC dont think your efforts arent appreciated. They are.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2008, 5:53 PM   #18

Bigchuck,

We truly appreciate your efforts. Your physical challenges remind me of my current situation. I got a bout of gout in my right hand and it's tricky typing on a keyboard in this condition. I can't imagine what challenges you face ona daily basis. In my case it happens every couple of months.

Hang in there we appreciate it.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2008, 12:04 AM   #19

Seeing that I'm one that hasn't been participating as much lately, I'll respond. I just haven't had much free time on my hands lately. Working full time, taking an online class (which I'm way behind in also), trying to fit Christmas shopping in on lunch hours, putting in extra hours at work as a lot of things have come up, plus we are getting new software and I'm trying to help make sure it covers everything we need, new computer at home I'm still finding things we need to get installed on and set up, I could go on and on......

I usually watch two forums on this board. Here and the Pentax dSLR board. I haven't even been responding much over there. But, when I have had time, I've been going there as I'm keeping tabs on a new camera I am hoping Santa brings me.

When I do remember there's a new challenge here, I realize it's a tough one as I haven't cooked anything in traditional holiday fare in the past week. Maybe more Christmas weekend since I've got four days off from work. (Although, if the challenge isn't extended, that won't work either.) Or, maybe I need to spend more time looking at what's being posted and maybe I'm interpreting the challenge incorrectly.

I have thought of a few things I could buy pre-holiday and photograph them, but haven't had time to go to the grocery store to get them. We've been eating piled up stock in the cupboards lately. Whatever I can be creative with for dinner.:-)

Anyway, my $2 worth on the subject. I'll try harder to get here and participate. I do enjoy not only seeing what others post, but trying to meet the challenges posted.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2008, 1:15 AM   #20

I've been a member of Steve's forums since 2006 and have posted over 3700 posts. I used to be a regular contributor in this forum and I am still an active contributor in the Sony, Panasonic and Olympus (DSLR) forums. Every now and then I check the challenges here and today was no exception. The title of this particular post caught my attention so here's my 2c on the subject (for what it's worth).

I sincerely don't believe that the lack of participation has much to do with with the subject or the time of the year. Participation/activity has dropped in just about every forum (although traffic seems to be OK). If you look at the Panasonic P&S forum, it's one of the most active forums of all (106,778 posts and 12,900 topics). However, looking at the forum activity, you'll notice that most topics have triple or even quadruple digit views but single digit Replies. Tke "Let's get to know each other" topic has 56,278 views and only 171 replies. Another one, "FZ28 Zoom capabilities" has 3,399 views but only 48 replies. I must admit that my level of participation here at Steve's has, for various reasons, declined tremendously during the past year and a half. I think we all like to hear what others have to say about our work and when we receive feedback, we are encouraged to leave feedback. It's the chicken and the egg thing. The less feedback we receive, the less we feel like posting and/or commenting on other's work and the less we comment, the less feedback we receive. Perhaps we are lacking some nasty participants (like other forums have) because they generate controversy. The arrogance and intolerance creates discussion. Perhaps people are too nice over here at Steve's. Every picture is a "great" picture, even when it isn't really. People don't want to hurt anyone's feelings by making negative comments and as a result, boredom takes place.

Happy Holidays everyone!
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote