Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Dec 10, 2008, 5:37 AM   #21

When I started this thread I had no idea where it was going to go. After reading the last two posts, one by Patty and the other by Tullio, I must say Im blown away. While they both discuss completely different reasons for the lack of participation they both bring out very valid reasons. Im ashamed to say I have only free time on my hands. Periodically I become aware of the hectic times of others such as Patty and wish I could just go and help out and share some of my free time. Then we come to Trullio. I believe he has hit it on the head when he talks about receiving and giving attention to the posts. And especially the fact that Steve's doesnt have many 'bad people' here. Sadly, I feel like Im the bad one. I criticize honestly and from the heart. If something is good I say so, or not, if there is already a lot of traffic covering the 'its great, thanks for sharing' response. Im more likely to respond to a post with little traffic. I guess Trullio has made me feel very clearly like the 'bad guy' and for that Im really sorry. Its all meant with good intentions. I appreciate your time spent responding Patty, and I know the value of your 'free' time. Its precious when you are so busy with other things. And Trullio, thanks for your honesty and eye opening comment. But you are especially right about one thing, there are no 'bad people' here. Happy Festivus everyone.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2008, 7:08 AM   #22

Bynx, I certainly didn't intend to make you feel bad or guilty. I'm envious of all the free time you have to take photos and be so creative. Some day I'll be there. I must agree with Tullio on the comments. It is discouraging to see that 50 people may look at your post and you get one response. One of the reasons I post here is to get input on what I might have done differently to improve a photo. That's hard to do when you either have no response or "that's great". I would rather people told me what they think. You don't have to be give negative feedback to be helpful. People could make a suggestion on what they might have done differently or what they like or don't like about a photo.

Now, having said that, my recent post of the turkey carving is a good example. I am still mastering my flash unit. The photo could definitely use some improvement in at least that field. And, maybe some others in people's opinions. But, the only way Isee any of us to improve is to post and be critiqued by our friends.

Have a great day.

Patty

p.s. I'm off today to go shopping with my aunt, so don't need to be to work so early.:-) Gave me a chance to check out the boards before she gets here.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2008, 9:05 AM   #23

Patty, you point of few or no comments can be discourageing. In fact, its the reason this thread started in the first place. Perhaps people reading this will be a little more 'honest' in the future and respond accordingly. Good bad or in the middle every photo is worth a comment. Thanks again for taking the time.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2008, 9:41 AM   #24

The same here, Bynx. I had absolutely no intention to make you feel that you're the "bad" guy. We do need to create some "healthy" discussions and controversies. We need to stir things up a little, patronize less. It's like hotel ratings. If you give a mediocre facility 4 stars out of 5, you have very little room for improvement and the real 5-star facilities will suffer. There is nothing wrong getting 100 "what a great picture" type of replies if your picture really deserves that. It's the encouragement we need to continue the path. The thing is, no one takes absolutely gorgeous ("perfect") pictures all the time but because they've built a reputation, the comments on their work are always very positive, which becomes "old". Now, there is a huge difference between being honest, sincere and rude, abnoxious. We should encourage the former and ignore the latter.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2008, 10:54 AM   #25

One of the differences between Steve's forum and others is the fact that here there are way too many categories while other forums are leaner. For example, we have a P&S section broken down my manufacturers. Then a DSLR section also broken down by manufacturers. Then the Digicam Help, Post Your Photo, etc. sections with a variety of forums in each one (including this one). This can be good or bad. The good thing is, one can be very specific about where to post a topic or where to go see/obtain something. The bad thing is, it becomes very selective and unless one checks multiple forums, most likely he/she is going to miss a lot of stuff. I may not be interested in people photography or architecture so I will most likely not visit those forums. However, some posts to them may have been of interest if, say, I'm looking for a particular camera. With the existing design of the site, there is a tendency to drive a very selective (and consequently small) group of people to each forum, thus reducing participation and feedback.

Perhaps it's time for the guys running the site to shrink it a bit. Maybe some forums can be combined. That would make a larger group of people accessing them and consequently each post would be exposed to a larger audience. Do we really need to have a differentiation between P&S and DSLR? These days there are plenty of people moving from one format to another (going either way). So, if I have a P&S and am looking for a DSLR upgrade, I could be in one forum and read both, P&S and DSLR posts. The same may apply to even more specific discussion forums currently under the Digicam Help section. If I have an Oly DSLR and I'm interested in a flash, can I just post a question in the Olympus forum or search that one forum for an answer? It's more practical to say the least. I hear many people state that time is an issue. The more forums one has to participate in, the less chance there is that one will go every night, check them all and right something about each new post in them.

Now, I'm not saying we have to mimic other forums or that we have to combine everything into one wide umbrella. I like the differentiation between camera specific and photo specific forums to a certain degree. A lot of times, I find a strong connection between the image and the equipment/technique used. Although I may comment on the image, I'm also interested in knowing which camera/lens was used among other things. That's one of the reasons why I tend to participate much more actively in forums such as the Panasonic, Sony and Olympus. I get both, the exposure to one's work and the equipment/technique employed.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 12:27 PM   #26

I'll step in and say that I have been busy with life in general. Two small children in gymnastics and b-ball, school and church programs have limited my hobby time to near nil. But another reason in an ever increasing frustration with this forum. Not any of the posters mind you, but the forum itself.

I am working on a 6mb download speed DSL and the Biweekly Shoot Out takes any where from 10-30 seconds to load. I know that doesn't seem like a lot of time. But it should be near instantaneous on my speed of DSL. I use two browsers and when I can visit 3-5 different commercial websites using another browser in the time it takes for this forum page to load, waiting for this site while I love it, is becoming very frustrating.

What really chaps me is the site is slow for this forum only. Other sections here load very quickly for me, it's just the BSO that creeps along. It just shouldn't take this long.

NotDadsW41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2008, 12:33 PM   #27

One of the reasons is because the site hosts most of the pictures. So, a forum containing a large number of posts, may take longer to download. I have cable and do not experience much of a delay, but that's me. Other forums don't host any images. You provide a link to where your image is being hosted and that will drastically decrease response time.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 3:12 PM   #28

My reason for not posting recently is twofold. First, in the past it has been very easy for me to look in my database of 23,000 photos and find something that meets the challenge. However, the rules prohibit that, now. The second reason is that I started a new job a couple months ago and when I get home, I am too tired and my feet hurt too much to even think about the camera. I haven't shot a new photo in over two months. I am working at a woodworking retail store called Woodcraft (a national chain) which sells high end tools, power tools, accessories, books, finishing products, hardware, and exotic woods from all over the world. I love the job but I don't know how long my feet are going to survive!

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2008, 5:40 PM   #29

Regarding combining groups together, I'm happy with it the way it is. I belong to numerous genealogy forums, some which discuss multiple topics and I tend to not read them when there are tons of posts on certain subjects. Just don't have time to keep up. But, that's my opinion. Others may feel differently.

As for the forum being slow, yes, I've been experiencing that too and getting frustrated at times. Before I though it was our corrupted computer. But, we have a brand spanken new computer with tons of memory of plenty of processing speed and use cable modem and I sit and wait sometimes for the pages to post. Sometimes I'll just quit trying to access and come back another day when I have the patience to wait. I probably don't help the situation any if it's attaching images to the post rather than another page. Just never took the time to set something up for doing that.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2008, 6:01 PM   #30

I read the Panasonic forum at dpreview on a daily basis (specially during the past month or so because I'm seriously considering buying the LX3 and there are virtually hundreds of posts regarding this particular camera. That's one forum that covers anything Panasonic, whether it's cameras (P&S and DSLR) or photos taken with Pana cameras. Am I interested in everything? Heck no. So, I simply select the topics I choose to read based on the subject title and ignore the rest. But the good thing is, it's all there. You can comment on pictures, ask technical questions, find out about software, lenses, memory cards, etc, etc, etc. All in one spot. No, as I said previously, I don't think that that's the best format either but I certainly believe a combination of the two formats would be ideal.

Carl, I know what you mean. I too have a large number of images stored in my computer and it is very easy to browse through them and pick a few that matches the biweekly challenge and post them. At the same time, I think that forcing us to go out and actually take pictures having something specific in mind is what challenges are all about. The downside of it is, it takes time and effort and perhaps not even time nor effort will help you if you can't find a matching subject. I remember one of the challanges here was Farms (or something to de with farms). Well, guess what? There are no farms here in San Jose so for me to participate I'd have to actually drive for an hour to find a farmhouse to take pictures of.