Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Dec 7, 2008, 11:36 AM   #1

How about just saying why you arent participating. Is it the subject, are you too busy? Im just curious because here are a few figures:
4 posts = 611 views = 17 replies = 8 different members. If you are a little more vocal, then if there is a problem, it can be fixed. But Cal and the other moderators have to know the problem.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2008, 2:34 PM   #2

Bynx wrote:
Quote:
...why you arent participating. Is it the subject, are you too busy? ...
Yes, and yes. I know there are annual exhortations to "shop early for Christmas", especially this year, when people who're facing tough times are, ludicrously, being exhorted to spend all their dosh as their national duty. But "cook early for Christmas" is a new one on me.

I did in fact, in August,scan my mother-in-law's favoured photo for her 2008 Christmas card, add her greeting to a long foldable 11.4"x4.5" imageand get 200 done at a knock-down price by my camera shop pals. I know it was in August because I couldn't find the template when looking for it this morning for our own 2008 card, thinking it must have been her 2007 card, and that I must have doneit a year ago. She is the only 'early bird' round here.

Christmas food preparation won't begin here until after this challenge has finished, and the flurry of rehearsals and then seasonal concerts has died down. The runup to Xmas is much the busiest time of year, and cooking happens late.

We had pancakes for tea today, but they aren't due until Shrove Tuesday in February. In lucky years it happens on my birthday, but I still have to cook them, as the acknowledged local expert.

I shall post one year-old photo I have, shortly. Its eligibility is a bit dubious, as you'll see, but I quite hope it'll be deemed out of order, to give me an excuse for a more appropriate archive one that I have in mind. That might come along as a later post, if I find it in time. Its subject is unlikely to appear to be photographed before Christmas Day. when it'll be on the table.

So I'd love to participate more, but it's not convenient.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2008, 5:38 PM   #3

Alan,

There is some truth in what you say but if you note the Christmas festivities began long before the Thanksgiving turkey was on the table. At least this was true in the good ol' USA.

I was torn between several poles on this and thought along with others that a more Holiday period would have been better. However, for the Holiday periods I've seen so far the Forum participation reaches a low since many are busy with family activities etc.

So, my thought was to have this early. One compromise might be to allow it to runlonger than usual and thus overlap more holiday periods.

Thanks for your input.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2008, 7:42 PM   #4

Because I haven't gone shopping lately, and I hate to cook anyway!
tigerwings1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2008, 10:48 PM   #5

The activity level in this forum is a concern for the moderators to deal with. Typically, activity is lower during the holiday season due to all the holiday activities people have to deal with.

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2008, 12:53 AM   #6

Cal I am really curious why there wasnt just a drop in participation but virtually a complete stop. There is a wide assortment of people here from all over the world. Since I seemed to be the only one participating I wanted to know why 611 people took the time to look in to see what I posted while just 8 people total said anything. And until I mentioned it no one else was posting. Finally a couple took an example of my tongue in cheek posts and did likewise. Its all for fun after all and a great deal of time doesnt have to be spent doing it. Can you explain your last line (Stronger comments deleted). What does that mean? And Im waiting to see what you come up with. Considering you picked the topic.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 2:44 AM   #7

Bynx,

In case of any confuson. I posted this last challenge.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2008, 6:47 AM   #8

Selvin it doesnt matter which of the 3 of you actually suggested the topic. And thats not the point. I was just curious why EVERYONE just stopped contributing while those viewing remained the same as usual. Its no big deal except I dont want to be the only one making an effort. I like to be amongst the posts here with an equal opportunity to view others photos and to make comments too. Shooting food can be a bit tricky in that neatness counts. A plate of food can look like its good enough to eat, or something that has already been eaten. But Im also interested in whats on the tables everywhere. Everyday dishes in Ajax I bet are a bit different than one in Honolulu or Beijing, or Sydney, or Manchester. Perhaps, because I dont have enough money to do christmas shopping I have more free time to spend taking pictures. If there is a bonus to that I guess thats it. Anyway, Merry Christmas, Happy Festivus, Hog Somaach, and whatever fits appropriately here for where you live, from Bynx. And to you especially Selvin, Aloha.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 9:57 AM   #9

Although this forum is international, it is primarily American. For Americans, food is more significant later in the season and especially on Christmas day. Hannukah, or Chanukah, whichever you choose to call it, is still upcoming. Kwanza is a relatively new holiday and I don't know exactly when it is celebrated.

My point is that most people in the forum probably aren't getting too much opportunity to shoot food shots right now. As the holiday season progresses, there will be more opportunities. For that reason, we may wish to extend this challenge and run it in parallel with Vanessa's next challenge. I will discuss that with Selvin and Vanessa.

Bynx, my recommendation is to go with the flow and see what happens rather than try to analyze it to try to figure out "what is wrong". There may be nothing wrong.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2008, 10:13 AM   #10

calr wrote:
Quote:
....For that reason, we may wish to extend this challenge and run it in parallel with Vanessa's next challenge. I will discuss that with Selvin and Vanessa...
I'll propose a hot buttered toast to that (in half-strength bitter, you understand)!

I have one shot under construction right now (requires a long wait), but there's plenty more to come from me (my condition during festivities permitting), and I'm sure from many others if you give us time.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote