Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Dec 8, 2008, 2:38 PM   #1

OK, so it's -15 degrees Celsius and you're bundled up in your wool coat, toque, scarf and mittens. Your feet are snug in your skates and you're enjoying a leisurely glide along the world's longest skating rink, the Rideau Canal. Your stomach starts to rumble and, as you round the corner, it shines like a beacon of light: the Beavertails booth.

Essentially a glorified doughnut, a beavertail is made of whole wheat yeast dough stretched roughly into the shape of a beaver's tail and deep-fried to order. While a range of sweet and savoury toppings are available, I'm loyal to the classic Killaloe Sunrise with its generous sprinkling of cinnamon sugar and splash of lemon juice.

Skate right up to the counter, order your beavertail and hot chocolate, and then stretch your legs and warm your fingers at a picnic table on the ice.

I can't think of anything more Ottawa than that.

Beavertails

3/4 cup milk
3 tablespoons canola oil
3 tablespoons sugar
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
2 1/2 teaspoons yeast

peanut oil (for deep frying)

Topping:
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
butter
1 lemon

In a large pot, combine milk, 1 tablespoon of sugar and oil. Heat mixture over medium heat until just before the boiling point. Turn off heat, but leave pot on the burner. When the mixture is cooled from super hot to very warm (about 30 minutes), sprinkle the yeast on top. Wait 10 minutes for the yeast to activate.

In the meantime, whisk together the egg, the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar and the vanilla in a small bowl. Add this mixture to the milk and yeast, and stir to combine. Add 2 cups of the flour, followed by the salt, and stir to form a dough. Abandon the spoon when it becomes too difficult and use your hands.

Once the dough forms a rough ball, remove it from the pot. On a floured surface, knead in the remaining 1/2 cup of flour. Continue kneading the dough until it is smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes). Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place until double in size (about 1 hour).

At this point, either refrigerate the dough (for up to a day) or forge ahead with the beavertails.

Take a golf ball-size piece of dough. On a floured surface, roll it out to 1/4-inch thickness, roughly in the shape of a beaver's tail.

Combine the sugar and cinnamon and spread it on a dinner plate. In a Dutch oven or deep pot, heat about 4 inches of peanut oil to approximately 385 degrees Fahrenheit. If you don't have a thermometer handy, toss a small piece of dough into the hot oil. If it puffs up and browns quickly, you're all set!

One at a time, stretch your rolled out beaver tails a bit before tossing them into the oil. Flip once to brown the second side and then remove with tongs or a fork. Quickly brush both sides lightly with butter and then toss in the cinnamon and sugar mixture to coat. Drizzle lemon juice on top.

Enjoy fresh.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2008, 5:57 PM   #2

so delicious.
Dr. Mr. Vandertramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2008, 6:30 PM   #3

Mmmmm Beavertail:homey:

That sounds and looks really good!!!

Mugmar
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2008, 9:59 AM   #4

That is somewhat akin to what we call "Elephant Ears". Elephant Ears are prepared in much the same way but are usually larger and usually coated with just sugar. They are very popular at fairs. The ones sold at the East Idaho State Fair are often the size of a small to medium pizza. At the Oregon State Fair, they are about half that size. Mmmm good but I can't have them any more.

Nice photo of the beaver tail.

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2008, 5:26 PM   #5

Eeek... now that looks way too sweet/sugary for me - and you combine this with sweet hot chocolate? :?

Can I order some strong black tea without sugar instead, then I'd be tempted to try one!
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2008, 5:48 PM   #6

Bynx,

Lovely shot. Very interesting description and recipe. Reminds of something around here that they call "bear claw." Although I don't recall them being fried.

Aloha

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2008, 12:07 AM   #7

Looks good to me, Bynx. We call them fried dough here. (Or, at least something that sounds like yours.)

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2008, 7:23 AM   #8

I want one! Actually, can I have 4 or 5?
yesterday is offline   Reply With Quote