Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Dec 25, 2008, 12:47 AM   #1

I've had to stagger round our local town centre (Wrexham, N.Wales) several times in the last few days, for Christmas Shopping, and various errands. Day before last, at dusk, I returned along the high street to my vehicle after increasingly desperate 'Xmas Shopping'.

I'd been exploring the possibilities for a new compact camera (as requested from Father Christmas) for my daughter, at my local camera shop, so I had my tiny (elderly, b. Sep2005) Casio compact camera in my breast pocket for comparison with the latest models, and it was hungry for subjects.

The church tower of St.Giles, Wrexham, was built between 1508 and 1516, as an expression of religious fervour, with ornate architectural decoration. In this rather noisy shot, which presented itself, you see it as a backdrop to a modern celebration of the Christmas Christian religious festival.

I'm not religious, myself, but the culture inspired by religion over the last few hundred years is a important part of my life.Especially, centuries of gloriouschurch architecture has helped inspire the fantastic repertoire of religiously-inspired music, in which I and my family participate, especially at this time of year.

So I mused on whether we're advancing or not, looking in one glance, one photo, at 500 years of development of religious expression, from long-lasting elaborate stone to a transient, formulaicChristmas illumination with all the required elements - ox, mother & infant plus halo & star, shepherd, donkey.

<Start of sermon>Widespread practice ofa few of the moral principles espoused by most modern religious thinking, worldwide, would be a better memorial to us than a fortnight's Christmas lighting <End of sermon>
I think too much!

Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2008, 7:43 PM   #2

Alan, it looks like a lovely church. I hope you don't mind. I adjusted the shadows a little to see more of the building.

I'd love to see an image of it taken during the day.

Patty

Hmmm, by the time I reduced the size for web, it looks pretty bad. I can remove it if you want.
Attached Images

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2008, 10:02 AM   #3

nhmom wrote:
Quote:
.....I adjusted the shadows a little to see more of the building...an image of it taken during the day...by the time I reduced the size for web, it looks pretty bad. I can remove it if you want.
I tried brightening it up just as you did, but didn't like the brightly coloured noise, a consequenceof a tiny 7Mpix 2005-vintage sensor at ISO400. I'm happy enough with both, thanks.

I'll google-rummage in my posts round here,try & find a daylight picture, and post a link if I find one.There were a few shots of the inside when we did the last 'Musical performance' challenge, at http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=85.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2008, 9:27 PM   #4

Wow! Alan. That is beautiful. I don't think I ever saw that post. Must have been when I was going in fifty directions at once (rather then my 20 like normal :-))

That is one beautiful church. I'd really like to see the outside if you come across them.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2008, 2:27 AM   #5

@Alan and nhmom
this is my attempt to make some church details better visible, it's not much, I know.

regards,
Th.
Attached Images

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote