Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Dec 27, 2008, 11:04 AM   #1

A new shopping mall has been built in Wrexham. I've watched its construction over the last year, on top of what was a wonderful and vast weekly open-air market (which I miss greatly) until a few years ago. It opened, with many very upmarket shops in an essentially downmarket town, just in time for the Christmas not-spending-very-much- this-year spree. It has various architectural features which amuse me, and I shall exercise my photoverbal wit on them in due course in the 'Architectural Photos' forum (when I get round to it.)

While Christmas shopping the other day, I seized the opportunity to nose around these marble halls, not buying anything (too posh for me), using first my little Casio, and then my daughter's shiny new pocket Rollei. This provided a tortuous means within this 'challenge', whereby with a little indulgence from the mods, I can show you a 'better' picture of the wonderful St.Giles Parish Church.

In keeping with the Scrooge-inspired climate of Christmases yet to come, the Holiday Lights budget was clearly restricted somewhat. In fact, they were rather difficult to spot...
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2008, 11:10 AM   #2

There was actually a giant fir tree at the entrance steps, but it wasn't easily recognisable as a Christmas tree, because its sparse LEDs were so faint and uninspiring. In this shot, if you're very observant,you can see more of these seasonal illuminations. Thisis NOT the world-famous Blackpool seasonal illuminations, which are well worth a visit (once).
Attached Images

Old Dec 27, 2008, 11:20 AM   #3

Interesting angle on your second shot Alan. It looks like an architectural rendering with the appropriate people put in place. I think Christmas as we knew it is gone forever.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2008, 11:21 AM   #4

...and here, craving the indulgence of the moderators, by popular demand, is a shot demonstrating how sensitively and tastefully the modern development of Wrexham blends with St.Giles' mediaeval tower. Itwas deemed one of the 'Wonders of Wales' for centuries after it was built (it's unusually tall for its period). The sodium-vapour streetlights shown, when illuminated, will provide much of the seasonal lighting for the new mall.

The brick chimney on the left is an antiquity too, left over from a Victorian(?) brewery, and built in to an excellent pub, conveniemtly placed for concerts in the church.

Apologies for irrelevance to Challenge.
Attached Images

Old Dec 27, 2008, 11:30 AM   #5

Bynx wrote:
Quote:
...I think Christmas as we knew it is gone forever.
Well, I'm hoping not, as I may get to go again to Bath Christmas market next year, if the 'Messiah' organisers chance it. The Christmas spirit there's pretty good!
Old Dec 27, 2008, 11:47 AM   #6

Looks like the kind of place I would like to visit. For the photographs of course. I love buildings.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote