Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Dec 28, 2008, 5:34 AM   #1

Hello,
as promised I'll post the "final result" from my little fun thread (http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=85) here. Thanks to all, that played by and joined the guessing.

Yes, it IS a fish. A carp, to be more specific. For some reason carp is a traditional holiday food and usually served between Christmas and New Year. There are two common variations: "blue" and "brown". The one you can see here is the brown variant. One main ingredients is malt beer, which (partially) is the reason for the brown color of the stock.

In the other thread you saw a closeup of the fin, the mouth, part of the dissected fish, part of the stock:
Attached Images

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2008, 5:39 AM   #2

This is the final result, no vegetables, just potatoes, the fish and the stock which serves as some kind of sauce. A very basic meal, nothing really fancy. A cool beer works best with this, if you prefer wine you'll need one, that can hold it's ground (to say so) against the tasty fish and stock.

Kind regards,
Th.
Attached Images

Old Dec 28, 2008, 9:36 AM   #3

Excellent! The suspense was killing, as we say! It looks delicious! I'd add some greens and other coloured veg, myself, though, or eat lots of fruit afterwards.

For yesterday's evening meal our large family partyhad a first course of a chunk of baked salmon looking not unlike this, followed by 'leftover turkey' pie (and potatoes & veg).

I have a funny story about carp...

All over the UK there are recreational fishing ponds well stocked with carp. Anglers are supposed to catch them, weigh them, and put them back in the pond to grow bigger. In the last few years we've had an influx of skilful (correct spelling in English English) Eastern European immigrants, excellently replacing our native plumbers and other craftsmen who'd all gone off to be retailers or investment bankers and the like,or had retired without leaving any apprentices to carry on their trade.

Our awful red-top anti-immigrant and often racist tabloid newspapers created a huge outcry when it turned out that some of these craftsmen had followed the free and easy carp rules of their home countries.They'd beencatching and eating carp from any local pond they spotted, unaware of British sport-fishing culture."They come over here, steal our jobs, and eat our fish!"

Actually what's happened since is that with the onset of the economic downturn, lots of our essential craftsmen are going home to Eastern Europe, leaving us to mend our own pipes for 10 years or so. I wish them well. Every one I've met has been extraordinarily friendly and helpful, (as most of us would be when in a foreign country and trying to please).
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2008, 1:08 PM   #4

Now I see. It was actually the fin I was looking at that made me think whale. It's certainly much smaller than that!

Nice images. Although, even though I like fish, it doesn't appeal to me that way.

Our Christmas dinner was untraditional lasagna. We just had too many things going on lately to deal with cooking the traditional turkey or ham. Lasagna was gladly accepted in our home as it's not something I make often due to the time required to make it from scratch. It was served with green salad, garlic bread and we had sparkling cider and eggnog for drink. Not much of an alcohol family here.

And, unfortunately, I didn't take any photos of it either. Oh, well.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2008, 5:18 PM   #5

@Alan
You are right about vegetables or fruits, I went the "fruits way" as for some unknown reason no vegetables are served for brown carp. As for the fishing... in Germany you need a license to go fishing in lakes, ponds, whatever and have to abide the rules on how many fishes you bring home and how big they have to be (minimum required to make sure they can grow).

Salmon... hm... that's a good idea, too.

@nhmom
yep...

As for the fish... I mostly like it roasted or smoked. I found, that only very few people are able to cook (as in opposite to roast) fish well. Common problems: too much spice, fish is cooked too long and is too soft, breaks into small fragments when you want to eat etc.

I missed to take pictures of the potato salad, too... but there's something left and I might eat it tomorrow... so stay tuned. This is another thing I eat mostly over the holidays.

Best regards,
Th.