Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jan 9, 2009, 1:45 AM   #1

This entry is more a learning experience than a showcase piece.

The entry shows two shots of a paper towel atop a white enamel background.

The leftmost shot was taken without any flash and usesauto WB. the same paper towel was then taken with the flash attachment from approrximately 8 inches away. Both shots are as is from the camera (Sony A700 with Tamron 18-250mm lens). No editing was done.

There will be some degradation of the quality of the photo since they have been downsized from a 4.64 megabytejpg shotto a 6 inch by 4 inch photo 300 pixels per inch using PS Elements 5.0.

The High Key effect is obviously most apparent in the second shot on the right.

A couple of observations:

1. The flash has throttled down surprisingly very well. There are some blown highlights on the paper towel. [/*]
  2. The Auto WB tries mightily but needs help on the non-flash photo.[/*]
  3. With editing, the photos especialy the non-flash photo can actually be "doctored" to look real.
[/*]
Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2009, 3:35 AM   #2

selvin wrote:
Quote:
This entry is more a learning experience....The leftmost shot was taken without any flash and usesauto WB.... then taken with the flash attachment from ...as is from the camera...No editing was done....

1. The flash has throttled down surprisingly very well... [/*]
  2. The Auto WB tries mightily but needs help... [/*]
  3. With editing, the photos especialy the non-flash photo can actually be "doctored" to look real.[/*]
I've enjoyed playing with this montage, Selvin. Thanks!

I used PainShopPro7's 'automatic colour balance' to adjust the pair of shots to 6800K colour temperature, and the left onenow looks about right and is nearly grey, as tested by looking at individual pixels with the 'eye dropper'.

So, as you say,your auto WB didn't understand your ambient lighting, or perhaps it was swayed by the colour of clothing you were wearing. But on adjusting it, we see that your auto-exposure has worked perfectly, and gives us a good learning experience, by doing as it should and pegging the whole white subject to a nice mid-grey, while providing a beautiful ranges of tones to show us all the detail.

In contrast, the flash hasn't toned itself down enough to achieve the sameresult, which, ideally for a stupid machine, it should really have done. By accident, it has produced an excellent high-key result, with just minor blown highlights, and a good rendering of how I imagine it would have looked.

I have a relevantimage I nearly posted the other day, so maybe I'll do that in another thread.
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote