Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Feb 7, 2009, 9:24 AM   #1

Then it snowed (worst in the UK for 18 years, but only 10cm or so here). So I started all over again.

The moleis clearly carrying out annualsubway maintenance, as most of the hills are appearing in the same places as last year. Since I took this shot 3 days ago a huge hill has appearedbetween the nearly-parallel shadow lines (power poles again). That was the location where much of this summer's, and the previous summer's spoil appeared.
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2009, 9:28 AM   #2

While the snow has been highly disruptive of travel, it does render the pile of sewage sludge visually quite benign.
Attached Images

Old Feb 8, 2009, 8:44 AM   #3

I hope you'll excuse this morning's quick update from the Moleological Forecasting service, showing that I wasn't exaggerating. The hills in the foreground are a bit bigger, and here are the two rapidly growing new ones near the corner of the 'lawn'. One is on an existing site, and the other's new.
Attached Images

Old Feb 8, 2009, 4:40 PM   #4

A large numberof the images I have posted in Steve's forums over the years have been shot at home through my open or closed windows. So, to feel properly in the spirit of this challenge, I have felt it necessary to show some evidence of the existence of the window ineach of myimages.

The two images aboveare the only ones where I properly overcamethe 'depth of field' challenge,by getting far enough away from the window at a wide enough angle.

If you wish you can see some of the other thingsI've been shooting through the windows in this period in the Kodak forum at http://forums.steves-digicams.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=601954&forum_id=18. I'm very grateful for this 'challenge' because it caused me to explore the extremes of my modest camera's capabilities.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 8:03 PM   #5

Looks like the snow is rapidly melting there too. How big are the moles you have there?

NotDadsW41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2009, 4:03 AM   #6

NotDadsW41 wrote:
Quote:
Looks like the snow is rapidly melting there too. How big are the moles you have there?
Lots more snow and molesare forecast tonight, but the white stuff may not quite reach as far north as us.

I only once saw one of our tiny moles, a few summers ago, lying panting desperately (the mole, not me), in blazing sun. I erected an umbrella to shade it, hoping it would recover & crawl back into its hole. When I returned a little later it had vanished, but it may have been eaten by a passer-by.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 2:47 AM   #7

Here's another supplementary, as little is happening here at the tail of the 'challenge'.

Before it snowed, I caught this load of giant molehill material on its way to build a pile in a nearby field.

It nicely illustrates a major traffic problem round here. Farm vehicles have grown so that they only just fit the country lanes. When I'm driving my 2m wide campervan I may meet one of these round any blind corner. They're not as much of a hazard, however, as other 'White Van Men',rushing madly to deliver the internet shopping wherever their satnavs take them.

My 80-yr old mother-in-law met a too-fast giant tractor round a bend on a nearby icy road the other day, and spun into the hedge, fortunately with little harm done.

Note the TV aerial. The transmitter is on a Lancachire hilltop over 40 miles away, but in our strategic location at the top of the village, there's not a lot in the way of the signal.

Attached Images