Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Feb 22, 2009, 4:51 AM   #1

Here is my 2nd contribution to the Selective Focus challenge.

This time, I thought to capture two normal features, I guess quite prominent in many back gardens: the corner of my house as well as a garden chair.

First focus is on the chair.... where I often sit at the end of a day capturing a few evening sun rays, reading a chapter of a good book and relaxing after work to unwind on week-days. As it's summer here, we have lovely long sunny days... and I love day-light savings! So when I get back from work I have ample time to get changed out of my business suit and enjoy some sunlight (when the UV is low and it's not so hot as the peak of the day), which is great!

It's a good change from sitting in front of a computer most of the time, being in quite intense meetings or being on the phone - which is what mainly fills my time at work!

Or I might spend some time on this west facing chair on a weekend evening after coming back from whatever I've been doing away (being at church, body-boarding, meeting friends) or just spending some time outdoors after doing things indoors (e.g. cooking, correspondence) or just after having worked in my garden for a while!

I guess that is why this 1st photo here gives me a feeling of "peace", as I love the precious time I get to unwind there.... Ahhh.....
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2009, 4:56 AM   #2

And this 2nd photo has the focus on my actual house... the south-east corner - which is the exterior of where my main bedroom ("bedroom 1" is).

I guess this photo conveys a more general feeling of "property" to me (as opposed to "unwind" - that the first photo of my "relaxing outdoor chair"gave). This is because this 2nd photo has the bricks and mortar in focus, and in the background (out of focus) is part of my lawn... yes it's very yellow and dried due to the heatwave we've had!

Probably ALSO because I've never owned a home before - that is why the "property" thought is quite a conscious thing to me. There were times when I thought I might never actually own real estate, (and I was / am ok with that, as I was working in international voluntary Christian mission work for 10 years) - but yes, I guess I am thankful to be able to currently own my home - well at least be paying the bank off my mortgage for it ! :G

I wonder if you follow my line of thinking / explanation of the "emotions" conjured up by just changing the focus in these type of photos... I'd love to hear your thoughts / experiences.

Paul
Attached Images

Old Feb 22, 2009, 6:52 AM   #3

Excellent example of the Challenge theme. The only other thing I can say is, I wish the grass around here was yellow from too much heat. Right now I cant see the grass because its all covered in white.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2009, 2:39 PM   #4

... thanks Bynx for looking and for your comments.

As the saying goes "The grass is always greener".... actually no it's not! :blah:

Paul
Old Feb 22, 2009, 3:17 PM   #5

Nice shots. And, I understand the emotions behind the second shot, too.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2009, 1:30 AM   #6

Hi Patty

Thanks for looking.

And I'm glad you understand about the emotions connected with the 2nd photo.

Cheers

Paul
Old Feb 24, 2009, 1:04 PM   #7

I like your set of photos. They satisfy the challenge perfectly. Your commentary is very nice also. My only complaint is that while you are basking in the summer sun, we still have three more months of rain and possibly some snow before we bask in the sun!!

We don't get a lot of snow here in the Portland area but this season has brought more than normal.

(New keyboard, new computer, new HD widescreen (24") monitor, and the whole system still can't type an better than me!)

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2009, 11:24 PM   #8

Hi Cal

I am really thankful for you appreciating my sets of photos for this challenge. I have found it fun and inspiring! My gratitude for the opportunity!

Well, if only we (the world) could share better - some of your rain for the dry yellowness of South Australia.

But even closer to home, one million square kilometres in Australia's 2nd largest state (Queensland) has been flood declared in recent weeks. That's 4 times the size of the UK, or one and a third times the size of Turkey, or one and a half times time size the US state of Texas! In other words a HUGE area! :!:

The north of South Australia even shares a common border with the south west of Queensland! It's north Queensland (the tropics) that is having flooding, meanwhile, particularly the south of South Australia has been having severely below average rainfall over the last 3 years, resulting in a drought!

Happy you for having a new keyboard, new computer, new 24" monitor! But hey, if it can't help you type better... do you want to swap? :blah:

Funnily enough, when I got a new laptop it didn't improve my shaving times in the morning either? :G

Thanks again for your kind comments, dear moderator! Looking forward to the next challenge... but I'll share my last series for this challenge in a minute!

Paul