Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Feb 23, 2009, 6:44 AM   #1

Hi all

Again, another "close focus" (this time a flower) vs my "vegie garden" in the background (this time including a different perspective of my vegie patch area.

The light purple flowers in focus in the foreground in this photo are along the side of my carport. The blurred background... well, you'll just have to wait and see exactly what that is in the next photo.
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2009, 6:49 AM   #2

.... This photo has the background in focus.

The bird-bath statue is about 5 metres from flower, and my young orange tree is about 6 metres from the flower).

I used my 50mm f1.8 lens, set at f2.5 for both these photos. The focus on this 2nd photo is on the orange tree... even the statue is out of focus (more visible on the full sized / larger resolution version).

The flower clearly seen in the first photo is basically a see-through purple haze in this 2nd photo, due to the extreme blur of a large aperture and the close proximity of the flower.

Did any of you guess what was in the background (just from the 1st photo)? The bird-bath is visited daily by eager birds drinking and washing in the water. (I fill it up every 2nd day, or daily- it's not that large). I can't wait till my orange tree is bearing Valencia Oranges!

Paul
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2009, 10:59 AM   #3

Fine work! I love the way your shots and trojansoc's bridge allow a large lens to be a 'magic window' with which we can partially see right through small objects close to it. You couldn't do that with your eyes (or at least not with one eye).
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote