Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Feb 24, 2009, 11:04 AM   #1

Cal pointed out the selective focus (i.e., foreground badly out of focus in a snatched shot) in my very last shots of our prior 'window' challenge. Inspired by this, I leapt for my camera when I spotted our neighbours Mr & Mrs Archibald, on their daily high speed route march right round the village.

This time, by going to f=50mm, 256mm equiv, f/5.1, 1/51s, I got the TV aerial and couch properly selected...
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2009, 11:05 AM   #2

...having first autofocused on the walkers, quickly before they disappeared. I spotted them because I was just settled for a post-lunch hours's feet-up in front of the TV with today's episode of a 'Poldark' rerun.

As an excuse, I remember the saga as very fine novels by Winston Graham set in Cornwall at the end of the 18th Century and then a TV serial many years ago. Highly recommended.
Attached Images

Old Feb 25, 2009, 2:01 AM   #3

Alan,

Great example.

Haven't seen rabbit ear antennae for some time. I live in a valley and can only get bad reception of a few channels by pointing my antennae at the island of Maui. had to get cable.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2009, 5:12 AM   #4

Thanks, Selvin. Our location right at the top of a village on a ridge gives us not only fine views, but anomalously good TV reception until the advent of currently weak digital TV.

The tall transmitter listened to by the rabbit is on a big hill 35 miles away near Bolton, Greater Manchester. Pre-digital, our aerial was a 6-inch loop of copper wire, hung over the curtain rail. This was known as the "Father Christmas Detector", in honour of my late father, its creator. He built his own first TV from an old radar set in the early 1950s, on which I just remember seeing the 1953 Coronation on a 6-inch green screen. He produced many improvised Santa Claus detectors. One included a length of my gauge '0' clockwork railway track, screwed to a wooden lath.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 5:47 AM   #5

Hi Alan

Thanks for sharing your focus points... I like both photos. And I trust you enjoyed your TV viewing.

It's great you could explain in detail about the reception, etc - all interesting reading!

Photo wise, I love the 2nd photo most, the colours of the scene are lovely!

Cheers.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2009, 11:28 PM   #6

I, too, enjoyed the explanation regarding TV reception...and watching the coronation lo those many years ago. The old gal is holding up well, eh?

With your excellent vantage point you should be the president of what we (on this side of the pond) call the "neighborhood watch".
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote