Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Feb 26, 2009, 9:49 AM   #1

Huntington Beach celebrates its 100th birthday this month...and all year. Back then there were just over 9,000 residents -- today, 200,000. For much of that time the city's most noticeable features were hundreds of oil wells dotting the coastline. Still have quite a few, plus a handful of offshore rigs. The big attraction, tho, has always been the 10 or so miles of beaches and year-round pleasant weather. So, we are a growing tourist attraction now, which some of us view with mixed feelings.

I've got to refrain from showing you more pictures of the pier, but I can't totally ignore our location. Dubbed "Surf City USA", Huntington Beach draws surfers from everywhere, even tho (as Selvin would point out) our waves aren't as great is Hawaii's.

Here is our surfing museum. Considering the role surfing has played in our city, its not a very impressive edifice.

Attached Images

Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2009, 9:50 AM   #2

And, with all those surfers, swimmers and sunbathers, we need a lot of lifeguards. Here is the headquarters building.

Attached Images

Old Feb 26, 2009, 1:11 PM   #3

Waltre,

You're right given the prominence that surfing plays in your town, it's amazing that the tribute is so unpretentious.

Reminds me very much of the Tsunami Museum building in Hilo honoring the town's brush with so many tsunamis. Like your surf museum its unpretentious and is a small portion of converted bank building and safe.

The lifeguard building doesn't look like something that the Baywatch studs and studettes would frequent.

Aloha and thanks for sharing.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2009, 3:22 PM   #4

Hi Walter

Interesting buildings, they sure look different to each other as well.

Congratulations to Huntington Beach's 100th birthday (it's a baby city!)

Where are you in relation to LA? (I'm too lazy to google map it... gotta get to work in a few minutes...)

How warm is the water temperature during summer... and during winter?... it's surely not as warm as say Miami, is it? I have some friends in Miama / Florida.

It took me a 2nd look at the first building to realise all those "features" on the building were surf-boards! Cool!

Surfing is a huge thing in Australian culture, so I wonder how many Aussies have been to your neck of the woods to check out the waves? Thankfully Australia has thousands of kilometres of beaches... and our huge coastline borders on 3 oceans (Southern, Pacific and Indian).

While I don't personally "surf" - I do body board which I enjoy a lot (plus it's MUCH easier to learn!) - and I also do body surfing (without any "equipment" - when the waves are strong enough. I have a number of friends who surf, kite-surf and so on.

Cheers

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2009, 5:39 PM   #5

Paul
Huntington Beach is about 35 miles south of LA, and about 90 miles north of San Diego. Today's temperature is about 66, and water temperature is 57. As I understand it, Australia is a great surfing destination with terrific waves.