Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Feb 28, 2009, 8:31 AM   #1

I live in a small town inNew Hampshire. Spring is on it's way but the last few years have been cold, snowy winters and this year is no exception. We haven't seen bare ground for months but now the temperature is occasionally above freezing and the snow is beginning to melt. That doesn't make for very pretty pictures in our normally pretty little town but here are a few samples.

While the past years have increased the number of residences, there is still a lot of farming. One of the first signs of spring is when the local maple syrup man puts out his pails and takes them back to his sugar shack for processing.

I apologize for the quality of this picture. It is cropped from a much larger photo.
Attached Images

yesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2009, 8:34 AM   #2

The sugar shack will soon be in operation. The elementary school children will have field trips to learn about maple syrup processing and to taste the product. For a couple of years my husband and I tapped our maple trees and make our own syrup. At the time, we heated solely with wood and the stove was always running with a pan of maple sap on top.
Attached Images

Old Feb 28, 2009, 10:29 AM   #3

Ahhh, the rural life. Lovely shots.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2009, 12:21 PM   #4

Nice. I've been seeing the buckets starting to appear on trees, too.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2009, 8:04 AM   #5

Patty and Walter,

Thank you for your comments. It's hard to get a pretty picture this time of year.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 2:37 AM   #6

Yesterday,

Allow me to reminisce a bit but while growing up in Jamaica a group of Canadian high school youngsters from the town of Orilla, Ontario visited my High School. As a gift they brought us cubes of maple sugar.

We were so accustomed to sugar cane sugar, maple sugar was a delight and unique experience for us. I'll never forget the youngsters from Orilla and their kindness.

The whole maple sugar experience is so awesome to me that I buy 12 or more cans of maple syrup anytime I visit Canada.

Your shots togerther with the Food network documentaries on maple syrup are quite a combination.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2009, 5:08 AM   #7

Very nice. I can't imagine making it through a cold Northern winter on wood heat. That is a lot of work.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2009, 9:56 PM   #8

I'm glad to see that some people still collect the Maple sap the old fashioned way! Nowdays, most maple operations use plastic tubing to connect the trees with a central piping system. That isn't worth photographing!

Nice shots.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote