Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Mar 5, 2009, 3:50 PM   #1

Old North Church looking across fromStrawbery Banke Historic site (that's how they spell it)

Headstone from Point of Graves Cemetery in Portsmouth New Hamsphire, oldest cemetery in NH.

dcg0317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2009, 4:41 PM   #2

Thanks for sharing those. An interesting headstone with the skull and wings...it has stood up well. Assume that is from your archive, as there is no snow visible. Also, I might have cropped the first one horizontally, but, that's just me. Again, thanks.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2009, 5:56 AM   #3

The spire on the church really looks beautiful. Am I correct in assuming that the buildings just in front of the spire are not part of the church? Like Walter, I think this photo would have been more effective with Landscape orientation. You have an exceptionally high percentage of your image as sky with few features.

The tombstone is really interesting and unusual. I love visiting these old cemeteries.

Well done on both photos. Good to have you posting.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2009, 7:18 AM   #4

Thanks for the comments. I did shot one in landscape but didn't like it as much as this one, and the reason I didn't crop it was I might be using it as a card for next year and would need the space to add text, I wanted the sky as a background, the landscape one I don't even have download, it's just on my computer.

Yes the buildings in front of the church are not part of the church, they are the remaining homes from when Portsmouth was first settled and is now a museum called Strawbery Banke Historic site.
dcg0317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2009, 9:52 AM   #5

Both are beautiful pictures.
yesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2009, 4:49 PM   #6

Interesting headstone. I imagine the flying skull means the dear Capt was a member of Hell's Angels or at least piloted a Harley.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2009, 7:07 PM   #7

Bynx, those skulls with wings are standard for grave stones during the Puritan era in New England. We have them in Boston, MA in the graveyard next to my old middle school--kind of spooky on cold rainy days.

dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2009, 2:54 AM   #8

I sorta liked the empty space at top since it emphasizes the heavenly aspects of the church.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2009, 5:31 AM   #9

selvin wrote:
Quote:
I sorta liked the empty space at top since it emphasizes the heavenly aspects of the church...
Yes, same here. The spire is a pointer to the vastness of space, heaven, eternity, or what you will.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote