Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Mar 6, 2009, 8:20 AM   #1

I showed you some of this before, as an aside to the 'Seasonal Lights' challenge, but omitted its amusement value. I returned yesterday to pursue the idea. The mast supports a cable-staycurved footbridge access to the gigantic brand-new shopping mall.This unnecessary mall and its bridge is what the Borough Council would probably use to 'showcase' their town.

The scene strikes me as remarkably like the jackstaff at the bow or its equivalent at the stern of a great ship, complete with the ship's rail.

Its relation to pre-existing shopping developments is indicated by the vicious security fence in the foreground, intended to prevent escape of the mall's inmates to cheaper, older outlets.
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2009, 8:43 AM   #2

If we draw back from the 'quayside', we can now see the jackstaff in its proper context at the bow of a great slab-sided ocean liner of a bygone age.

In view of the launch of this new mall just in time for the spending power of the Welsh population to collapse, I hereby name this mall "Titanic". It will standin memory of another such hugejuggernaut, which famously sank due to collision with largely submerged, invisible,dangerous,inadequately liquidthings lurking below the surface of murky waters of the North-west Atlantic, not a million miles from New York.

To complete the edifice, I should like to see the Council commission an artwork to decorate the bow and jackstaff.This should comprise a pair of large (plastic, blow-up) dolls of a suicidal Kate Winslet and heroic Leonardo di Caprio, with hair streaming in the wind of recession.

Perhaps some of the creative artists round here could produce a sketch for the design?
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2009, 10:24 AM   #3

You crack me up, Alan, with your commentary. The Titanic comparison is a good one. Reminds me that last night one of our TV networks reported that Beijing overbuilt in anticipation of a boom during and following the Olympics. They now have millions of feet of office space recently built and unoccupied.

Back to your photos. To me, its sort of sad to see those new structures against the background of the older village.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2009, 3:05 AM   #4

Alan,

You description of this boondoggle is almost Shakespearean.

Sometimes, progress isn't all its cracked up to be.

Am I the only one seeing a phallic symbol lurking here?

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote