Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Mar 12, 2009, 2:21 AM   #1

Hi all

Hopefully this will be the first post for this challenge..... because otherwise if someone squeezes in the first post before me, my description subtitle will look stupid! :blah:

I thought, what a wonderful challenge / idea, Cal! Thanks! I immediately thought my ultra wide lens (Sigma 10-20mm) would and should make some interesting captures for this challenge.

So within 5 minutes of arriving home, I took my camera out - attached with the Sigma lens.. and made a few photos. And yes, I WAS lying in those pine bark chips in part of my garden to take this first photo...

The subject matter is my bird bath (featured in a few other bi-weekly challenge photos). This bird bath was left with the house when I bought it last year. It's quite small (about 1 metre high?)

Thankfully a strategically draped robe protects the little figurine's modesty.

This bird bath is used daily by many different birds who visit my garden....often I have to fill it up daily, or at least clean it once or twice a week. But that makes sense, we're in quite a drought here in South Australia!

Paul
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2009, 2:26 AM   #2

... and my 2nd photo in this thread is a less striking subject, imho - but still interesting for the lines / angles represented: the south east corner of my home. (It also featured in the selective focus thread two challenges ago).

The sky was clear, a lovely early autumn day here (still 30 degrees Celsius at almost 6pm!) Ah, I love this weather (but some real rain for our gardens and especially the farms is very welcome!)

There was some more solid cloud in the original composition which I cropped out, because it had highlight clipping - i.e. pure white, as the sky and my house are much darker in comparison, and the dynamic range was too much.

Again I was lying on my back on the ground, with my Sigma 10-20mm lens attached. I had the aperture set at f16, to provide as much in focus as possible.

thanks for viewing, all! Looking forward to seeing your contributions too.

regards

Paul

Attached Images

Old Mar 12, 2009, 6:56 AM   #3

Nice examples of upsy. Your sky looks very much like the sky we have up here. Blue with white clouds. Nice. :blah:
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2009, 7:16 AM   #4

Hi Bynx

Thanks for commenting, mate.

Yeah, maybe we live on the same planet, under the same blue sky?!

I'm looking forward to some of your upsy photos as evidence of the same! :G

At this stage I am trying to think of some Downsy shots that would be interesting. You'd think that would be easy for a guy living "Down Under" hey?

Somehow I get the feeling your Downsy ones, Bynx will be absolutely phenomenal. (Please don't prove me wrong!)

Cheers,

Paul
Old Mar 12, 2009, 9:50 AM   #5

Paul, if I tried this at home my wife would say I'm laying around...and come up with a whole new "Honey do" list. So, I'll be looking for opportunities elsewhere. :-)
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2009, 4:27 PM   #6

Ha ha Walter! Well maybe it's a good thing then that for this challenge I don't have a spouse. Too much "lying around" wouldn't be seen as a good thing.

But I have a great idea for you., which should sort of allow you to do the "downsy's" fine! You should get up on your roof (assuming you live in a house...) and when your wife asks you what you are doing, you could say "I'm just clearing the gutters, dear!"

Of course... you need to say this with your camera held BEHIND you back, and a garden glove in the other hand, or at least one of those "gutter cleaners" with you! :G

Looking forward to your posts......

Paul
Old Mar 12, 2009, 7:57 PM   #7

Nice work on both, Paul. Looks like you and Bynx must be on the same planet I am as I have blue sky and white clouds, too :-)

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2009, 1:33 AM   #8

Thanks for viewing and commenting, Patty

Well there you go - looks like we all DO live on the same planet. Fancy that!

And I thought this was supposed to be an intergalactical online forum. Not so much fun if we're all stuck on this same planet. How boring... all the same colour skies!

"Adelaide, Australia" is the local way we call the lower part of segment 1Ca - from planet XZMVB12. Here we are currently Governed by the Zcsiamnar rulers, but imho over run by Xorbians - I can't get used to their 5 eyed curious natures! Those Xorbians come from planet Xorb (of course) - which I know has a yellow sky, purple clouds and a green sun (which turns blue during winter). I wonder if they need different polarising filters there? Hmmmm?

Which segment of this planet are you guys from? I'm guessing you are not Xorbians because you would have mentioned that in your replies. Whoops.. I hope I'm not offending you any Xorbian readers, though!?!

Paul (It's Friday evening here, I'm allowed to be crazy!)
Old Mar 13, 2009, 6:02 PM   #9

Blue sky with a few white puffs here, also. Nicely done, Paul. I like the perspective on both. Did you get all the bark chips off the back of your clothes? LOL!

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2009, 9:51 AM   #10

Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Cal!

Yes, indeed I did have to shake those bark chips off my back. Just as well I wasn't wearing my best clothes, either - because the pine bark chips were a bit dusty!

Nice to know we also live on the same planet.

Cheers

Paul