Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Mar 13, 2009, 9:24 AM   #1

I had an idea for this challenge, which needs more work before you get to seeit. As I left,I walked in very dull conditions along a little wooded dell, and a footbridge across it loomed over me. I had to climb inside the tower for this shot. (You may hear more of that later).
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2009, 9:27 AM   #2

I climbed up the steps to the top of the bridge and crossed it to the middle. Sorry, the high-speed dog & its friend defeated the 1/8s exposure...

The bridge also presented another downsy opportunity (see 'view from bridge').

Attached Images

Old Mar 13, 2009, 5:14 PM   #3

Hi Alan

Both shots are very interesting perspectives... well done on creating a great little series, showing the contrast particularly between a rather dull sky (but interesting silhouette)with your "upsy" - and the lovely colours on the lush ground with your "downsy".

The blurred dog / runner actually add another dimension to it, which I think is not out of place.

Hope you are not putting yourself in danger climbing dangerously just for the sake of this challenge!! :?

Cheers

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2009, 6:08 PM   #4

Very nice, Alan. I think you've got it! Although I've never shot the bottom of a bridge, I do have some interesting shots looking up the middle of a high voltage transmission tower. I think my best downsy shot is looking over the brink of the upper Yellowstone Falls on the Yellowstone river in Yellowstone National Park. I may post these as my archive shots.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2009, 8:27 AM   #5

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
.......Hope you are not putting yourself in danger climbing dangerously just for the sake of this challenge!!...
Thanks, everyone, for comments (and those onthe last 'challenge', too).

And thanks for the solicitation, Paul, more apt than you realise! I'm not as stable on my feet as I was 30 years (or even 2 years) ago. As I climbed in among the girders atthe base of the tower, I scraped my friable skin on an edge, and bled copiously, necessitating an improvised bandage (my sock) to get me back to better dressings in my vehicle. Clearly, I should have lain down in the dead leaves as a safer, cheaper alternative to gymnastics or pine bark.

Here's a downsy-the-leggy shottodemonstrate. (It's healed already.)

[As an aside, my cameras have been an invaluable aid in my foot-related medical problems of recent years, so I have a large archive of much more gruesome upwards shots. I'll spare you those, you'll be relieved to hear!]
Attached Images

Old Mar 15, 2009, 5:33 AM   #6

Alan,

It shows your loyalty to the forum to put yourself in imminent danger to give us a great bird's eye view. Some flattery does help, does'nt it?

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2009, 12:43 AM   #7

Now that is dedication. I hope you shaved before putting on that big adhesive bandage on your leg. It looks like it is going to take a lot of hair with it when removed...

dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2009, 6:09 AM   #8

I like your second shot Alan and ....ouch.
MVASteve is offline   Reply With Quote