Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Mar 14, 2009, 7:27 AM   #1

Here's what I was up to yesterday, before finding the dell and its footbridge...

Approximately 34 years ago I was an active member of Chester Mountaineering Club. On summer evenings we occasionallypractised 'bouldering' on a sandstone retaining wall near the river. This was too tame for my 'extreme' hard-man climbing partner and flatmate of the time, and he led me a little way away to the Grosvenor Bridge across the River Dee, and then up this corner of its haunches.

I managed to climb it in good order, by delicate 'bridging', straddling the corner,with the safety of his top rope, but had a lot of strenuous difficulty getting round the overhang. Somehow it lacked the atmosphere of the great cliffs of N.Wales & Scotland.
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2009, 7:36 AM   #2

Actually I was fibbing slightly; it was the mirror image corner across the river that we climbed. Access to that is currently obstructed by bridge repairs, and recent racecourse security fences. Here is the corner I could get at yesterday, and in context.

The tall image is distorted and the curved edge should be vertical. It's much more 'upsy' than it looks, because it's a three-shot in-camera panorama from the steep ground at the bottom.

In the little inset, the location of the original climb is visible as a dark vertical strip below the lampost on the left.
Attached Images

Old Mar 15, 2009, 5:20 AM   #3

Alan,

Are those metal fittings in the middle of photo #1, manacles used to bind miscreants to the wall during floods as they plead their innocence while the flood waters are rising? just joking...

Unusual perspective.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2009, 5:36 AM   #4

selvin wrote:
Quote:
...those metal fittings in the middle of photo #1...
...would have been very useful, had they been metal, and had the higher ones still been present. My leader would have been able to fix 'runners' (running belays) to them, to allow me at the bottom to protect him from falling too far. In fact, they're plastic cable fixings from a lightning conductor that's been moved elsewhere.

My leader was in no real danger; this was a very easy climb indeed, for him! On one occasion,inthe Cuillin of Skye (Britains's spikiest mountains), as I abseiled (roped down) a difficult vertical and overhanging bit, he climbed down, unroped, at the same rate alongside me.