Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Mar 15, 2009, 12:27 PM   #1

I had another 'downsy' idea to kill time near Chester yesterday morning, while my son rehearsed with his rock group. On the way to my chosen high location I was loading the shopping near the Airbus factory, heard a loud roar, and there was acompletey unexpected 'upsy' image I hadn't expected to get. My camera was in its case in a rucksack, so the target had nearly got away by the time I zoomed to my full 396mm equiv to see right 'upsy' its exhausts.

This is a 1:1 clip from the middle of a full frame, so sorry about the noise. The special plane takes whole wings from Chester to the assembly plant in Toulouse, France, and my other, better, accidental picture of it, from last April, genuinely directly upsy from a nearby hilltop is at...

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=589596&forum_id=18&jump_ to=878459
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2009, 12:29 PM   #2

15 min drive up a narrow, steep lane got me to the intended location for my downward shot, a pilot's-eye view of the runway from which the Airbus had just launched itself. The Airbus wings, and also executive jets, are made in the huge building on the right, and surrounding sheds.
Attached Images

Old Mar 15, 2009, 5:44 PM   #3

Looking down at the air strip makes me wonder which came first , the air strip or the houses?
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2009, 2:16 AM   #4

Calicajun wrote:
Quote:
...which came first , the air strip or the houses?
This is a densely populated area. Chester is beyond the runway, Stanlow oil refinery and the River Mersey beyond that. Just the other side of the Mersey is Liverpool(Speke)airport. This particular (Hawarden) airfield was important in WW2, for the defence of the hugely important port of Liverpool, and there are numerous abandoned airfields within the area as well. Many of the houses are just post-war, I think, but on the site of pre-existing villages.

An airline pilot, originally from Pakistan,lives in our village.He told me about excessively exciting flyingin and through the Himalaya on small local flights in his younger day, but now he flies short-haul holidaymakers in and out of Speke daily, and delights in his descent path over our scenic rural village. Our skies are perpetually cross-crossed by the vapour trails of transatlantic flights from down south. Surprisingly, given the proximity of Manchester's and Liverpool's major airports, there is no noise nuisance here.

There'll be little nuisance for the inhabitants at the end of the runway, either, as it's just an aircraft factory, with only a few business and transport flights. So I was extraordinarily lucky to catch the 'guppy' there yesterday when I'd intended to shoot the airstrip from above, though it's familiar sight in Chesteron its approaches.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 9:02 PM   #5

Alan, thanks for the information about your area, it was very interesting. I asked the question of which came first because here in the U.S. people are always building house next tot airfields and then complain about the noise.:?I work at a airfield so there is no way I would buy a house near one.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote