Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Mar 16, 2009, 11:29 AM   #1

This is Beeston Castle, about 4 miles from home, dominating the 'Cheshire Gap', the lowland route between the sandstone hills, from Chester and the sea towards the English Midlands. It was the scene of heavy fighting between the Royalist Cavaliers & Parliamentarian Roundheads in the Civil War of 1642.

More recently, a pair of rare peregrine falcon chicks were abducted by expert mountaineering thieves from their nest on the cliffs last spring, presumably to be sold into captivity.

Any closer, and the trees are in the way. I'll show you some of the other 38 attempts if you want to see!
16 March 2009 12:13:25
Exposure bias [EV]: 0.0
Focal length [mm]: 7.6
35mm focal length [mm]: 41
ISO value: 100
Shutter speed [s]: 1/161
Aperture: F5.7

Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2009, 11:33 AM   #2

Here's the top-down view, straight down tothe lane where the first shot was taken.

Since I last visited the castle, there's been an outbreak of 'safety'. This was from the only place where I could see over the edge. All other barriers had been moved about three feet back from the edge, removing most of the excitement of the place.

Date taken: 16 March 2009 12:44:07
Exposure program: Aperture priority
Exposure bias [EV]: -0.33
Focal length [mm]: 5.85
35mm focal length [mm]: 33
ISO value: 100
Shutter speed [s]: 1/512
Aperture: F5.7

Attached Images

Old Mar 16, 2009, 2:43 PM   #3

Hi Alan

Beautiful scenery here, you're blessed to have it so close to your home! Thanks for the history information / lesson as well.

I appreciate the composition in both photos, and it's so good to see the close up of hedges in the first and how they define the road in the 2nd photo (it makes it much more contrasty than just a road without hedges).

Also interesting to note the changing effect of light / perspective as you take one angle from below and facing in one direction, and then the other from above, taken facing down and in the other direction. (Exif info is stripped from your photos, so can you confirm - what was the time difference taken between these 2 shots)?

Sad to hear that the peregrine falcon chicks were adbucted! I hope the CATCHERS get CAUGHT!

I know what you mean about the "outbreak of 'safety'" that occurs in such places. Indeed sometimes it really hinders good views / vantage points. But in other ways they are constructed for the safety of folk, especially little ones.

Thanks for sharing.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2009, 2:47 PM   #4

Dosen't look that high for the ground up but does look like a long way down from the top.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2009, 3:51 PM   #5

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
...what was the time difference taken between these 2 shots)?...
Exif data now added above. It's 30 minutes' difference. The first shot is facing about east-south-east, along the road seen running away west-north-west in the second. On all the shots looking upwards within the woods, exposure was problematical, with the cliffs largely in shade, and the important bit of wall at the top against a very bright sky. Hence the 39 attempts, and much twiddling.Late afternoonwould be better.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 4:11 PM   #6

Very beautiful photos.
flutelady is offline   Reply With Quote