Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 2, 2009, 3:14 AM   #1

This horrible collection of mostly useless, mostly plastic junk sits by our main domestic telephone. The idea is that there's always a writing instrument to hand for message-taking, but it's become a plastic museum. I clear it out occasionally, but it miraculously recreates itself.

The string, the faded 'do not remove' notice, and its attached disposable propelling pencilwere my attempt to ensure thatI atleast, among the family,can quickly identify an implement that works.

It's in the manner of the mediaeval 'chained bibles' that used to be padlocked to the pulpit.
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2009, 9:55 AM   #2

Well, Alan, I must say it's colorful and there is plenty of plastic there but the composition is rather poor. There is too much clutter and no clear subject. My first photography instructor lived by the "KISS" principle. That means "Keep it simple....sir". (I changed the last word to be polite!)

A different angle might be better. A shot more from the front without the computer? keyboard and not showing so much of the wall and door/window frame. I'm not sure what that object in the lower right corner is (perhaps a pen/pencil holder) but it does not contribute significantly to your composition.

Another possibility is to zoom in or move in closer to the cup and show only the contents. (I have just hinted at a future challenge here...)

I appreciate your participation and you have showed us some fine work but, alas, I fear this is not one of your better photos.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2009, 9:56 AM   #3

Alan, I think every household has a receptacle similar to your's -- just daring one to select a working writing instrument on the first attempt.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2009, 10:49 AM   #4

calr wrote:
Quote:
....but the composition is rather poor. There is too much clutter and no clear subject...
You're right, Cal, but this was the best of many shots and crops. All the scattered elements, including the telephone, are essential to the story. Cropping off the money box on the right yields a horribly unbalanced tall thin shot.

The correct way would be to rebuild the composition physically elsewhere and move the elements about to an optimual configuration. But, given that the subject is a load of rubbish, frankly, I didn't think it worthwhile.However, I quite liked the idea, given the transient life of many plastic objects.

As you'll gather, I'm rather lacking in inspiration so far on this challenge.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2009, 2:57 AM   #5

Alan,

It's not easy taking everyday objects and making them the object of affection.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote