Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 17, 2009, 12:26 AM   #1

A view along a foot path at the (J Paul) Getty Villa near Malibu

Attached Images

Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2009, 5:13 AM   #2

Im not sure if this falls under still life but I love this shot. I played with it for half an hour and came up with all sorts of looks and I liked every one of them. This is certainly a wall hanger for me. Here is one of the looks I got.

Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2009, 12:42 PM   #3

This is one gorgeous shot Walter! I would have to agree with Bynx that it's not quite a still life shot. It is in the case that it's 'still' but it isn't an arranged composition by you. I know, I know, still life can be an arguable subject! :P Heheh....

And yep, another agreement with Bynx....it's surely a wall hanger...woohoo!! :-)

~~StitchBabe~~

StitchBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2009, 12:43 PM   #4

Bynx wrote:
Quote:
I played with it for half an hour and came up with all sorts of looks and I liked every one of them. This is certainly a wall hanger for me. Here is one of the looks I got.
I like your illustrative rendition of Walter's shot!

~~StitchBabe~~
StitchBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2009, 10:03 PM   #5

Walter, I love your shot. (I'm a sucker for Water Lillies!) However, I have to agree that this does not constitute a still life photo.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2009, 11:01 PM   #6

I shouldnt have assumed its okay to alter your photo Walter, although you can assume its okay to alter any photo I submit. Im told there are complainers about me doing this. If there is a problem with it please tell me and I will gladly delete my efforts. I feel an acknowledgement of your efforts is better than being ignored. You will find that often quite a number of people will view your photo and not one will have a word to say.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 12:38 AM   #7

Bynx, I think all of us who post on Steve's Forums are eager to learn how to become better photographers and would welcome constructive feedback. Personally, I would not want to edit someone else's post; rather, I'd be inclined to describe any improvements I might want to suggest. If someone asked if they could demonstrate a perceived improvement I'd probably say OK, have at it.

In this particular case (this submission), your edit was not at all helpful as it did nothing to improve my photograph. Instead, it was a digital interpretation of my original. Nothing about cropping, contrast, saturation, etc.

I know that the rules for this forum were changed a few months ago. Perhaps that made it somewhat less clear as to what was and wasn't acceptable.

In any event, I would suggest that we all ask first. What's even better is when the original poster incorporates a written suggestion and resubmits it him/her self. To me, that's how we learn best.

I agree that its disappointing to have so many people view a submission and not bother to comment.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2009, 12:53 AM   #8

During this challenge I have made illustrative comments to 3 separate posts. I received positive feedback from two along with your honest opinion. Rest easy Walter, I shall not be doing it again with any of your photos. In your particular case, when i saw your photo of the water lilies my first thought was of a painting by Monet. He did many paintings of water lilies and I just wanted to illustrate your photo as perhaps he would have painted it. There was no other purpose other than to see for myself how it would have looked. I posted it to share my feelings with others. Cudos to you on that nice shot. And I apologize for, in your case, stepping over the line.