Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old May 8, 2009, 2:29 PM   #1

Default What went wrong - Another Tay Bridge disaster

Beware the tilted camera! Especially when using the in-camera panorama mode. This was on holiday, week before last.
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2009, 2:33 PM   #2

.. and it's not just a tilt. When one has a repetitive pattern, trying to get the stitching just right, it's a bit tricky to avoid getting wrong by exactly one repetition....(1:1 clip)
Attached Images

Last edited by Alan T; May 8, 2009 at 2:41 PM.
Old May 8, 2009, 2:45 PM   #3

Default A tilt in time does it everytime.

Alan,

Stitched panoramas do pose their own set of challenges. After getting the constant exposure set you have to contend with the tilt of the camera when not using a tripod.
Great example.
Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2009, 2:57 PM   #4

I've had some strange results with some early pano's! Using a wide lens, the distortion can really muck things up a bit also.

Mugmar
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2009, 3:36 PM   #5

I haven't done a lot of stitching, but what I have done has turned out well. Different software will perform differently. I have the original PSE (version 1) and Corel Photo Album 6 both of which have stitching routines. I find that PSE does a far better job then Photo Album but is more difficult to use.

In any case, best results are obtained using a tripod.

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2009, 9:56 AM   #6

Now this is a huge challenge to try and stitch when you have a straight line like that. Honestly, I think you did an admirable job, considering.
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2009, 12:38 PM   #7

This is a timely post. I shot this 9 pic 360 panorama this morning. I dont know why the top and bottom are the shape they are. Why arent they horizontal? I used a tripod.

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2009, 2:29 PM   #8

Default Bynx's question.

Your stitching software takes each shot and does its own corrections in the process of blending all of the shots together. Among them is a correction for distortion. Unfortunately The software developer leaves you the final step to usually crop off the "junkie" portions of the process.

I occasionally leave my "junkie" portions on for speciall effects.
Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2009, 2:52 AM   #9

The moral to my Tay Bridge tale is "always do a backup", don't get complacent!

Just lately I'd been getting such good results with the 'in-camera 3-shot pano' facility that I'd stopped my routine of always taking separate multiple overlapping shots as well, for stitching later if necessary. When the object of the holiday is sightseeing, and not primarily photography, the extra time taken is a nuisance.

My camera superimposes a strip from the edge of the first shot in the viewfinder for the second shot. However, I spent ages peering in the electronic viewfinder trying to get the superimposition just right, difficult with so many identical bridge piers. Also it's under time pressure, as the pano facility annoyingly 'times out' if I dawdle too much.

As my daughter works in Dundee near the bridge, and lives in nearby Perth, I'll get the opportunity to redo this one before too long.
Old May 10, 2009, 2:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
....I dont know why the top and bottom are the shape they are. Why arent they horizontal? I used a tripod.
I think you should cross-post in the Panorama/stitching forum, and see if Bill Drew, who knows everything about panoramas posts can answer that. As I understand it, the bendy shape of successive frames is to due to the complex geometry of projection.