Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old May 26, 2009, 6:40 PM   #1
daz

Default Long exposure-Needle in the eye

About a 20 second long exposer. Trying to balance it all out. Did not get it quite right but close. Had a slap my self on my forehead thing on the way home on how I could have taken the photo better, maybe next time. Going on a business trip to Hawaii on Thursday for a little over a week so I will not have time to work on this so here it is.

DAZ
Attached Images

Painting is an additive art. The artist adds to the canvas until they stop with their version of reality. Digital photography is subtractive art. First we throw away 90 percent of reality then remove what is left bit by bit until we have only the reality we wish to show. Flickr is like fun. PPG is like work. A camera is a machine of light and time with the purpose of capturing a luminous moment. Like the eye it is a tool of the mind.
daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2009, 12:31 AM   #2

Very nice. Makes me think 'Angels and Demons in Seattle'. If you dig the ground where this was taken would you find another clue?
rmuir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2009, 7:05 AM   #3

Great shot! Love the use of foreground framing.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2009, 10:27 PM   #4

Great shot, Daz! The dynamic range is a bit overdone but that's not a significant problem. What is the framing structure? It looks like a sculpture of some kind. Also, where is it located?

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2009, 11:17 PM   #5
daz

Thank calr and everyone.

The sculpture is called Changing Form. It is in a park in Seattle called Kerry. It is somewhat well know to the locals as the best place to see the Space Needle and the Seattle skyline. If you click on the flickr link in my signature it will take you to the photos I took that day. The photos are mapped on flickr so if you use the map option for a photo you can see where I was when I took it.

Every now and then I have to try the hard ones because it makes the others much easier. Every time I do some thing like this I learn a little more. I already have some ideas on how to do it better next time. Maybe some day I will go back and try to do it better.

But enough fun. I have to go back to packing for my trip tomorrow.

DAZ
Painting is an additive art. The artist adds to the canvas until they stop with their version of reality. Digital photography is subtractive art. First we throw away 90 percent of reality then remove what is left bit by bit until we have only the reality we wish to show. Flickr is like fun. PPG is like work. A camera is a machine of light and time with the purpose of capturing a luminous moment. Like the eye it is a tool of the mind.
Old May 28, 2009, 9:10 AM   #6

I clicked on the map option in Flickr and all I got was a blank map screen.

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 1:43 PM   #7

Daz,
20-seconds, wow. Very nice job.
Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 9:00 PM   #8
daz

Quote:
Originally Posted by calr View Post
I clicked on the map option in Flickr and all I got was a blank map screen.

Cal
Strange. When I click the map below the thumbnail I get a map but it is zoomed way out and you can’t zoom in. I am going to have to send a note to flickr about that. If I click on the thumbnail I get more option (like make the photo bigger) but down on the right side it a “Taken in” list and it has a map there. That one seems to be working correctly. Sorry for the problem.

DAZ
Old May 28, 2009, 9:05 PM   #9
daz

Quote:
Originally Posted by selvin View Post
Daz,
20-seconds, wow. Very nice job.
Aloha
Thanks selvin and Aloha back to you form overcast Waikiki.

DAZ