Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Sep 12, 2009, 8:22 PM   #1

Default Fire

How about Fire Dragon?
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2009, 11:40 PM   #2

Once again, Bynx, as was the case with your pistol shot, you appear to have given in to the temptation to resort to digital trickery rather than meet the challenge guidelines. At least, I'm assuming that this is not a single shot depicting a fire scene. If I'm wrong, please accept my apology.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2009, 6:15 AM   #3

Well you are somewhat right Walter. A bit of smoke and mirrors here. I used an old picture of fire I took as a texture a while back when I first got my camera. I put that file on my television and had a large display. Then I put the bathroom mirror on a pedestal and shoved it up against the television screen. I then put the dragon sculpture on the mirror. By positioning the camera in such a way that the picture looks like this. The only photoshop I did here was to blur the background flames slightly to get rid of the tv moire pattern and a touchup on the seam between the mirror and the tv screen. And that wasnt even really necessary. So it was, just one shot. The trick was exposing for the screen. I pointed a small flashlight on the scultpure as I took the picture. I will endeavor to come down to earth and shoot some kind of fire, which isnt readily available in any artisitic form bar burning down my neighbors house or perhaps their kids motorbike. Surprisingly, I dont smoke, and ran out of matches when I was doing the smac thing with them some time back. One of the guidelines I have tried to follow was, to not make it boring with the standard ho hum shot of a flame.
By the way the gun shot was digital trickery. That was a composite of 3 shots which I combined -- the gun and copper slug were photographed for this challenge. The muzzle blast was from a shot I took at a gun club back in 1974. I did combine them. Now going back to a point I made quite a while ago now....How the final photo is achieved should not matter to the viewer. The dragon was a single shot, the gun a combination of shots assembled. The point of this forum is to get off our butts and photograph something. Im doing that and sometimes a whole lot more. Its up to each of us to go as far as we are willing to go to try something new and sometimes get the impossible. As for the subject of this challenge I have no problems with fire but its a thing not readily available to each of us. Im doing the best I can with what I have to work with. Candles and matches have already been done which leaves little left for us apartment dwellers. Im looking forward to your efforts Walter.

Last edited by Bynx; Sep 13, 2009 at 6:38 AM.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2009, 12:33 PM   #4

As for myself Bynx, I can not find fault in your argument or explanations. Your results speak for themselves. I thought both the pistol shot and this dragon were excellent. Just my opinion, but you go guy!
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2009, 3:56 PM   #5

I'm not criticizing the 2 shots at all. They are fine. It's just that I'm questioning the adherence to the challenge guidelines. Perhaps the moderators would like to weigh in. I'll accept whatever they have to say.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2009, 9:33 PM   #6

I have stated to Walter in a private message that these two photos do conform to the forum guidelines. The digital editing perhaps goes a bit farther than originally intended but due to the excellence of the work, it is acceptable. I don't think any further discussion of this issue is needed.

Bynx, I love this image. The only problem I see is that, at your own admission, you have used archive shots in the creation of both the images in question, this might be a point of contention. Since each of these images is a new creation using archive elements, I find them acceptable.

Cal

Last edited by calr; Sep 13, 2009 at 9:37 PM.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2009, 12:10 AM   #7

Cool shot, as for rules I write them all day but have a hard time following rules.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2009, 8:14 PM   #8

Great job Bynx. Looks as if you fire breathing dragon has a bad case of gas
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2009, 5:04 AM   #9

Bynx,
I agree with Calr. You are also correct that for apartment dwellers, this isn't as easy as it seems at first blush.
After candles and matches the next thing is firefighting and those are unplanned.
but as Cal always note and you confirm. Start those creative juices flowing.
Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote