Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Oct 13, 2009, 11:43 PM   #1
daz

Default The photographer: is a tourist.

In the end we are all tourist. Antonov 225 delivering 10 generates to America Samoa.

DAZ
Attached Images

Painting is an additive art. The artist adds to the canvas until they stop with their version of reality. Digital photography is subtractive art. First we throw away 90 percent of reality then remove what is left bit by bit until we have only the reality we wish to show. Flickr is like fun. PPG is like work. A camera is a machine of light and time with the purpose of capturing a luminous moment. Like the eye it is a tool of the mind.
daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2009, 1:49 AM   #2

DAZ,
Are you in Samoa? Please let me know there are a few people I'd be interested in finding out what happened to them.

Yes, under almost any circumstances we all seem to be the tourist.
They badly needed those generators. Good work!
Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2009, 1:56 PM   #3
daz

Quote:
Originally Posted by selvin View Post
DAZ,
Are you in Samoa? Please let me know there are a few people I'd be interested in finding out what happened to them.

Yes, under almost any circumstances we all seem to be the tourist.
They badly needed those generators. Good work!
Aloha
Yes selvin, unfortunately I am in American Samoa. I say unfortunately not because I donít like it here, I do like to visit here, but because of why I came. We are bringing in a lot of things like generators. With the last load of generators I though the island was going to start to list to one side. They are going to have to bring in more then 2 time as many and they are going to have to be 2 times larger just to try and hold the load until they can rebuild the power plant the was wiped out by the tsunami. It could take 2 years to rebuild that power plant. The surviving power plant is normally running at 80 present now has to run at 100 and still can carry the load, that is why more generators. Hopefully it will hold the load until the new plant gets on line.

I donít get to get out much (only 2 time so far for like 2-4 hour each time) but I was able to get some photos when I was out. I am posting some on my flickr account if you would like to look. As to looking up some people for you I can try. I donít get out much and I am not exactly sure how to find them but I can ask around about how to do it. I will probably only be here another week (maybe 2) before I am rotated out so there may not be time but we can see.

DAZ
Painting is an additive art. The artist adds to the canvas until they stop with their version of reality. Digital photography is subtractive art. First we throw away 90 percent of reality then remove what is left bit by bit until we have only the reality we wish to show. Flickr is like fun. PPG is like work. A camera is a machine of light and time with the purpose of capturing a luminous moment. Like the eye it is a tool of the mind.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 2:17 PM   #4

Daz,
Thanks for the updates. Yes, I know how difficult the poweer situation can be there. Over the years I've visited it was always problematical. For many years the hotel would have candles and matches in each room.

Just in case you get an opportunity, both individuals are Elizabeth Haleck and Sam Urhle who work for the Department of Education. I hope they are fine. I worked with them for a number of years.

Good luck and keep up the good work.
Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2009, 11:59 AM   #5

You broke the airplane in the half, better watch those landing next time.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2009, 5:29 PM   #6
daz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calicajun View Post
You broke the airplane in the half, better watch those landing next time.
The tail broke too!

DAZ