Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Oct 22, 2009, 6:49 PM   #1

Default Selective color, but this one doesn't look grey...

I picked out another shot to do, and when I finished, it just doesn't look like a black and white...

Now isn't that odd?

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2009, 6:59 PM   #2

It looks like BW to me. There are several methods for creating BW images from color. "Convert to grayscale" works but is usually not the best. The channel mixer works very well and has the advantage of being able to change the intensity of the red, blue, and green levels in the BW image.

There are several other methods. You might checkout the "Past/Future Challenges" thread at the top of the forum index. We did a challenge on converting to BW a couple years ago and you should be able to find that in the listing. Click on the link to go to the challenge description. You will find several methods described there along with a number of links to articles on other sites on the subject. I don't know if all the links are still good but some of them should still work.

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2009, 7:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by calr View Post
It looks like BW to me. There are several methods for creating BW images from color. "Convert to grayscale" works but is usually not the best. The channel mixer works very well and has the advantage of being able to change the intensity of the red, blue, and green levels in the BW image.

There are several other methods. You might checkout the "Past/Future Challenges" thread at the top of the forum index. We did a challenge on converting to BW a couple years ago and you should be able to find that in the listing. Click on the link to go to the challenge description. You will find several methods described there along with a number of links to articles on other sites on the subject. I don't know if all the links are still good but some of them should still work.

Cal
I normally use the channel mixer. And perhaps it's just me, since I'm so familiar with this particular image - But my eye is drawn to the three guys on the red background, and the image is "color" to my eye until I sit back and look at it again. Might be just something that I percieve...

Dave
Old Oct 22, 2009, 7:41 PM   #4

The only color I see is the three guys and the red door on the truck. Have you checked your monitor calibration? Another possibility is that if you stare at that red door long enough, it saturates the red receptors in your eyes and then other colors will appear "off".

The image looks fine to me.

Cal

Last edited by calr; Oct 22, 2009 at 7:44 PM.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2009, 4:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by calr View Post
The only color I see is the three guys and the red door on the truck. Have you checked your monitor calibration? Another possibility is that if you stare at that red door long enough, it saturates the red receptors in your eyes and then other colors will appear "off".

The image looks fine to me.

Cal
Sorry, I'm not expressing myself right. My bad.

I mean the illusion that the image is color...

And I think I'm the only one falling for this because I know the shot. In other words, my reaction is that the whole image is color, even though it's not. And I also believe, I'm the only one falling for this... (You know, I'm kidding myself)

Dave
Old Oct 23, 2009, 7:05 PM   #6

i see what you're saying, chato!
I like the shot, but i might limit the colour even more.

I also like the selective colouring when it's done on a saturation continuum rather than a bw/colour one. might try that for the challenge, actually...
Dr. Mr. Vandertramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2009, 9:03 PM   #7

Good shot, looks as how one would see it driving by, three city workers standing around doing nothing parked in a no parking zone.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote