Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Oct 25, 2009, 2:21 AM   #1

Default Selective Color

The Yellow building is the Mendocino Hotel in Mendocino, CA. It is actually yellow.

Last edited by smac; Jan 30, 2014 at 11:40 AM.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2009, 2:23 AM   #2

This is a young Black Crowned Night Heron that I shot last winter. That is the real, natural eye color.

Last edited by smac; Jan 30, 2014 at 11:40 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 8:50 AM   #3

Both nice shots and great examples for this challenge. And both look like Ive said previously, so fake. All the pics look like the beginnings of hand coloring B&Ws.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 9:44 AM   #4

To me, the first shot looks like an antique picture postcard with the yellow building hand colored. I think the heron shot is outstanding.

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 10:43 AM   #5

Thank you Cal. The Heron shot is one of my favorite shots. That eye was just begging for this challenge.

Bynx, thanks for the feedback. I know exactly what you mean. I think it might be because, at least in my case, I am selectively choosing an area and then desaturating all of the other colors. I am going to have to try your 'Layers" technique.
Cheers,
Steve

Last edited by smac; Oct 25, 2009 at 12:35 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 12:47 AM   #6

Like both shots, for both they work well for this challenge. Would like to see the originals too.

As for them looking hand painted, the last time I did selective color was before computers. Then we use oil base paint and a brush to add color to a b/w photo. It was not a very pretty sight when I tried to paint.

Last edited by Calicajun; Oct 28, 2009 at 11:34 AM.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2009, 7:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac View Post
Bynx, thanks for the feedback. I know exactly what you mean. I think it might be because, at least in my case, I am selectively choosing an area and then desaturating all of the other colors. I am going to have to try your 'Layers" technique.
Cheers,
Steve
When I say fake it has nothing to do with your technique. Your way is just as good as mine. I just make a dup layer of the background, desaturate it, then using the eraser tool, erase what I want to be in color. No, I just mean that looking at the expanse of B&W and a small area in color, it just looks like it is in the early stage of being hand colored. And the color we see is so monochromatic as to have a fake painted on look. They both look fake, but you did exactly what was asked. Good job.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2009, 1:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
When I say fake it has nothing to do with your technique. Your way is just as good as mine. I just make a dup layer of the background, desaturate it, then using the eraser tool, erase what I want to be in color. No, I just mean that looking at the expanse of B&W and a small area in color, it just looks like it is in the early stage of being hand colored. And the color we see is so monochromatic as to have a fake painted on look. They both look fake, but you did exactly what was asked. Good job.
No problem, I didn't feel that you were picking on my work. I have a much thinker skin than that. I teach Jr. high. I have too. I respect your criticisms and I mean that in the better sense of the word. Keep it coming, it is always appreciated.

Thanks