Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Nov 1, 2009, 3:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
Trump buys them by the case just for that purpose...

Dave
Oh, so thats why he is such a colorful A##Hole.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2009, 3:57 PM   #12

Who cares about toilet paper or ties. Did someone say Egg Cream?

I like both pics BTW.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2009, 4:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac View Post
Who cares about toilet paper or ties. Did someone say Egg Cream?

I like both pics BTW.
Gem Spa is an old, old store, and was reknowned for it's egg creams. When it's Jewish owners sold the store to some Indians, the Indians knew the ingredients, but not how to mix them. I finally spent an hour showing them how it's done!!! Now they brag about their egg creams - And if you're not a New Yorker, you wont even know what I'm talking about...

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2009, 4:33 PM   #14

[QUOTE=Chato;1015168]Well, one nice thing about the Sigma, is that you can always keep on zoomin in...

It appears that you are correct. This is a 100 percent crop

Once again, the term "100% crop" comes up. My understanding of the term is that it refers to the entire image from the camera. Your interpretation appears to be...well, I'm not sure! I was going to say maximum zoom but, in that case, it would still be the entire image. There is no limit to how small you can crop an image in the editor. So...would someone please enlighten me with the technically correct definition of "100% crop" and cite a reference , if possible.

Thanks,

Cal

Oh, and by the way, those are ties!!
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2009, 7:00 PM   #15

[QUOTE=calr;1015439]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
Well, one nice thing about the Sigma, is that you can always keep on zoomin in...

It appears that you are correct. This is a 100 percent crop

Once again, the term "100% crop" comes up. My understanding of the term is that it refers to the entire image from the camera. Your interpretation appears to be...well, I'm not sure! I was going to say maximum zoom but, in that case, it would still be the entire image. There is no limit to how small you can crop an image in the editor. So...would someone please enlighten me with the technically correct definition of "100% crop" and cite a reference , if possible.

Thanks,

Cal

Oh, and by the way, those are ties!!
I know exactly what I'm talking about, but the semantics is confusing. When you zoom into your image so that it is being displayed at "100 percent," and you then crop a piece of that display, you have a 100 percent crop.

Of course sometimes I'll say, "Here's an image that I cropped to show 70 percent of the frame - meaning that if the image was 10,000 pixels across, I cropped it down to 7,000, and THEN reduced the whole thing so that I can display it on this board.

My original posted shot was about 50 percent of the frame, meaning in this case about 2400 pixels wide, reduced for this board. I then went back to the orginal image, zoomed in to 100 percent and cropped the tie rack (Yup, Binx was right, it IS a tie rack). Who knew?

Dave
Old Nov 3, 2009, 7:11 PM   #16

I did a search on 100% crop and found an eyeful. At one particular site, there was an extensive thread discussing the subject. That left me more confused than before. However, I think the real confusing thing is the term "zoom" as you use it. When I think zoom, I am thinking lens. However, I now realize that you mean you "zoomed" the image in your editor until it said 100% at the top of the screen and then cropped it. That gives the sharpest image from which to crop.

I don't think I am confused anymore.

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2009, 9:44 PM   #17

Now Im confused.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2009, 6:22 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by calr View Post
I did a search on 100% crop and found an eyeful. At one particular site, there was an extensive thread discussing the subject. That left me more confused than before. However, I think the real confusing thing is the term "zoom" as you use it. When I think zoom, I am thinking lens. However, I now realize that you mean you "zoomed" the image in your editor until it said 100% at the top of the screen and then cropped it. That gives the sharpest image from which to crop.

I don't think I am confused anymore.

Cal
Well, for example, this site Always dsiplays at 100 percent. Meaning that for each pixel of the image, the monitor displays at a one to one ratio. So, my 800 x 600 thumbnails would perfectly match an 800 x 600 monitor display. But that's just it, my tumbnails are highly reduced from the original. If I display the entire image, it would occuply four monitor screens, and all of us would scream at the poster...

So I went to my original image, and simply cropped it so that a one to one monitor display would match the small piece that I cropped.

Then the semantics kicks in as I try to describe my thumbnails in Terms of the original image. So my thumbnail reflects a reduced version of the image I Kept, in this case about fifty percent of the orginal frame.

Whereas, once in a while, I don't crop the image in any way, so it would be 100 percent of the original frame - It's still a thumbnail, a reduced image -

Dave