Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Nov 23, 2009, 3:16 AM   #11

Wow.. that's a very big change in regulations.
Is your measurements of the whole lobster? :O Here we use a measure of 8cm as a minimum, measured from the end of the eye socket to the start of the tail, indicated here :

Picture accuired from Fiskeri.no

Here in Sweden everybody's actually speaking of better season than last year, fishing wise, but with worse weather.
And nothing indicating that there's a loss of lobster. Maybe the lobster is migrating over here
Although I've heard lobsters migrate far less than some scientists have believed, according to new studies.

You even got less pots to carry around? holy mother... We have for as long as I've known have 14 pots for "civilians" and 30 pots for professional fishermen.

One thing, Walter that I've been curious about... Do you refer to Norway Lobster as Norway Lobster or do you say cray-fish?

Here in Sweden they're called "Havskräfta" which is "Sea" and "Cray-fish" put together...

Flikkaarrrr

Last edited by Acapulco; Nov 23, 2009 at 3:18 AM.
Acapulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2009, 5:18 AM   #12

The measurement of the minimum-length in Norway is 25cm or 10" - measured from the tip op its horn on the forehead down to the longest strand (usually the middle one) of its tail, pushed down on a measuring-board.

Quote:
Here in Sweden they're called "Havskräfta" which is "Sea" and "Cray-fish" put together
It's the same in Norwegian. "Sjøkreps" which is the equivalent of your havskräfta. But, having never discussed fishing in English I was just unsure of what they call these creatures in the USA, and I thought I did read "crayfish" on a menue in a restaurant once. Beeing unaware that the term "crayfish" actually refers to the the freswather-type of the same species.

I just post 2 shots (from some years ago) of a fried handling lobster after the catch, putting on rubber-ties over its claws.
Attached Images

Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2009, 11:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by selvin View Post
It's not just the nothern climes seeing a decline of lobsters. Even here in paradise the lobster catch isn't the same.
very nice shot.
Aloha
Does anyone besides the fishermen expect the rape of the sea can last forever?
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2009, 1:48 PM   #14

Wow... what a lovely specimen of a european lobster, Walter
the joy when the black gold of the sea ends up in your own pot is unimaginable if you haven't done it

Last year, me and my brother, caught the biggest we are yet to catch. 3.1 kilograms worth of male lobster. Being as it was a male, the tail was a bit teeny for it's size. His claws was by far the biggest I had seen at the time, almost beating my grandpa's record, hehe.

This year the biggest we've caught was a female. Her tail is double the size of last year's biggest, but with a much smaller body and claws, she weighed in at 2.4 kilograms.

Wow... sorry for hogging up your thread with this, I got carried away

Flikkaarrrr
Acapulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2009, 11:26 AM   #15

Like the shot of the dock with the empty cages. Also like the picture of the Crawfish, being from Louisiana I do miss a not having a good Crawfish boil.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote