Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Dec 23, 2009, 12:27 AM   #1

Default Editing Fun -- ACC DOF

Thats Air Canada Centre depth of field. Sure looks like a toy.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2009, 2:59 PM   #2

What this looks like to me is a closeup of a circuit board in a hard drive!

I assume that this has something to do with an air traffic control facility at night but I don't get that from the photo.

Help???

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2009, 6:18 PM   #3

In the good old days in Toronto we had Maple Leaf Gardens. It was the Madison Square Gardens of Toronto. Everyone from Roy Rogers, Elvis, The Beatles and of course every NHL hockey team played there. After Harold Ballard (owner of Maple Leaf Gardens and Toronto Maple Leafs) died things changed and the center of attention moved from the Gardens to a refurbished old Post Office building now called the Air Canada Centre home to Toronto Rapters basketball team and Toronto Maple Leafs hockey team. Its right beside Union Station so you can arrive from anywhere by train and walk directly to the ACC without even coming above ground. What you see in the picure is a WWE wrestling event going on. I did this panorama shot before the wrestlers got out to do their show. You can see the fans in the audience and the wrestling ring in the lower right centre. Here is a shot before the alteration to its DOF.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bynx; Dec 23, 2009 at 6:20 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 1:24 AM   #4

Bynx,
This isn't a criticism of your work here but I really have a difficult time getting worked up over the ACC DOF editing concept.
Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 2:35 AM   #5

As Ive said previously Im not a fan of this kind of pic fiddling. Creating fake depth of field to make a scene look like its a toy doesnt do anything for me. The first pic I posted shows what looks like a small table top model. Compare that to the original 4 shot panorama and you can see what I mean. I cant see anything for anyone to get worked up about this kind of manipulation. But it was one of the 3 styles that Vsch gave us to work with.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 11:26 AM   #6

I really like these editing types of challenges and hope to see more on occasion in the future. However, of the three styles presented here for us to work with the OOB seems to me to be the only one where I feel I am in control and really editing. The other two just let software manipulate the photo. True, one does get to decide on the DOF for the ACC or how much complexity is shown in the mosaics but it's still mostly done by the software. I am not being critical of the challenge, it was interesting to try them all out, I just don't feel like I had all that much control over the edit. Perhaps, that's just my lack of knowledge about the potential of these techniques.
Just my opinion, Thanks to Vsch for providing the opportunity.

Happy Holidays all,

Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote