Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jan 9, 2010, 11:31 PM   #1

Default Young or Old--Birthday Party

This is my archive shot for the challenge....taken on the occasion of a city-wide celebration of my mom's 80th birthday. She's approaching 83 and I can't even come close to keeping up with her.

Paul
Attached Images

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2010, 1:34 AM   #2

What a classy-looking lady, and an excellent portrait. What is her "claim to fame"?
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 6:11 AM   #3

+1 a very nice portrait.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 7:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter C View Post
What a classy-looking lady, and an excellent portrait. What is her "claim to fame"?
Her "claim to fame," I guess, is living her life well. She somehow managed to raise me on two part-time minimum-wage secretarial jobs, and still save a nice little nest egg for when she retired.

When she "retired," though was when she kicked into high gear. As long as I can remember, she has made a point of visiting elderly residents of the city who are homebound. With retirement she began visiting more and more of them, then began recruiting other visitors from her church. That expanded into a formal church-wide program, and has since expanded into several of the other churches in the city. It's an approach that has been popular enough that churches in other cities have sent numerous visitors to see how she does it. Young ministers ride with her half a day and then give up; they can't keep up either.

When a movement began to get a branch of a community college started, she got excited and started visiting people behind the scenes. She became a member of the town's community advisory board for the college and is more enthusiastic about it than anything I ever see her get involved in, even though she has only a very limited high school education.

The best way I can describe it is that she has earned respect by living her beliefs instead of talking about them. (Since you have an Arkansas background, Walter, you'll appreciate that I'm talking about Heber Springs and the college is a branch of Arkansas State.)

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 7:49 PM   #5

She appears to be a very sophisticated and worldly lady. Nice photo.

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote