Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Feb 21, 2010, 9:00 PM   #1
daz

Default Nursery Rhymes-Neverland

second to the right, and straight on till morning...

DAZ
Attached Images

Painting is an additive art. The artist adds to the canvas until they stop with their version of reality. Digital photography is subtractive art. First we throw away 90 percent of reality then remove what is left bit by bit until we have only the reality we wish to show. Flickr is like fun. PPG is like work. A camera is a machine of light and time with the purpose of capturing a luminous moment. Like the eye it is a tool of the mind.
daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2010, 11:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz View Post
second to the right, and straight on till morning...

DAZ
???? Duh? I don't understand.

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 11:21 PM   #3

Peter Pan methinks.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 8:26 AM   #4
daz

Yes, Peter Pan. ‘second to the right, and straight on till morning...’ is how you get to Neverland according to Peter.

It is hard to see on this down sized to 800 photo but there are 2 lines. The fainter line on the left is the Space Shuttle Endeavour. The slightly brighter on the right is the ISS (that’s the island that is far away that some go to and fly around). They appear from about straight over head and disappear about 4 minutes later behind the Cascade Mountains at about the same place the Sun is going to rise about 30 minutes later. It is not my best photo but the event is somewhat rare. Where I live is not known for its clear days (let alone nights) and there are only a few days in a mission when the 2 fly in formation so I have not had an opportunity to see (and photograph) this before and it is extremely doubtful I will ever get the changes again.

DAZ
Painting is an additive art. The artist adds to the canvas until they stop with their version of reality. Digital photography is subtractive art. First we throw away 90 percent of reality then remove what is left bit by bit until we have only the reality we wish to show. Flickr is like fun. PPG is like work. A camera is a machine of light and time with the purpose of capturing a luminous moment. Like the eye it is a tool of the mind.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 8:34 PM   #5

Daz,
Interestingly, the first thing I thought of on seeing your submission was "When you wish upon a star...." My mind has been bought and captured by Walt Disney,

That's indeed a rare shot of the space shuttle. With everyday equipment I think that's quite an achievement.

Nonetheless, to us old foogies space travel only happened in the movies until now and it's no longer a fairy tale. Who know's maybe one day Peter Pan does live out there....
Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 9:07 PM   #6
daz

Quote:
Originally Posted by selvin View Post
Daz,
Interestingly, the first thing I thought of on seeing your submission was "When you wish upon a star...." My mind has been bought and captured by Walt Disney,

That's indeed a rare shot of the space shuttle. With everyday equipment I think that's quite an achievement.

Nonetheless, to us old foogies space travel only happened in the movies until now and it's no longer a fairy tale. Who know's maybe one day Peter Pan does live out there....
Aloha
Thanks selvin.

When you see it with your own eyes what you see is a bright star (the brightest in the sky) suddenly wink into existents. The star moves across the sky very quickly then a second bright star appears and chases the first star. The 2 stars shoot across the sky and fade out just above the horizon.

Most people still only see it in the “movies”. A few may see a launch (I have seen one) and some a landing but almost all (probably for the rest of my life and I was born at about the start of the “Space Age”) will only see what is in space with their own eyes this way. So too most it is still a fairy tail.

DAZ
Old Feb 22, 2010, 9:28 PM   #7

Wait that Line STAR only appears that way for I see it down to the top of the tree its because of the lights of the fun town that make it look that way. just as a falling star looks to have faded out but really has not cause of the way the lights and distance is when we see it if on in the valley seen one falling and on e in the cleared hill sen one they both would see the same star yet one would see it fade before the other. Trickery of course brought by distance and heights and location.
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote