Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Mar 23, 2010, 2:53 PM   #1

Default Making Music - just in time, two for one offer

This rather cluttered windowsill in our front room includes, amid the children's relics, two rather restricted musical instruments, both with tales to tell.

The one on the left is a Karimba or Kalimba, made from the shell of a half-coconut, with seven metal tangs giving a melodious sound when plucked. More on that later, in Part 2.

The other 'instrument' is a set of 13 tiny tuned handbells, covering a complete chromatic octave. My wife bought them, and plays Christmas Carols on them rather expertly. Their purchase was inspired by Christmas parties thrown by very musical friends of ours for their similarly talented guests. Alongside party games such as embarrassing Mummer's Plays we had handbell ringing, using a very fine set of full-sized heavy handbells, like old-fashioned schoolyard bells.

Guests took turns at conducting Christmas carols using an array of players with one or two bells each, by pointing rapidly, in time, to the person with the bell for next the note. With most attempts there were 'hilarious consequences', but some of most expert 'conductors' could produce excellent results, and even include chords for harmony.

I included the Amaryllis because it has 'bells' as well, and the thought crossed my mind that a metal one might make an interesting sound, or alternatively a wind instrument if the stem were turned into a tube with a mouthpiece.
Attached Images

Last edited by Alan T; Mar 23, 2010 at 4:35 PM. Reason: Forgot to justify the flower!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2010, 3:40 PM   #2

Nice shot, Alan! Lovely colours and sharpness in your picture. What camera do you use?
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 4:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
Nice shot, Alan! Lovely colours and sharpness in your picture. What camera do you use?
Thanks, Eetu. It's a Kodak Z712is from May 2007. I have a newer Z1012is from 2008 as well, but marginally prefer the handling of the older one. They're both discontinued now.

To get resized images to look sharp, it's often necessary to apply a bit of sharpening. Mine have usually had a little 'unsharp mask' (USM) sharpening applied.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 3:49 AM   #4

Alan,
I note the bear has been lulled by the serenade of the bells.
As noted, the colors are quite vibrant.
Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote