Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Mar 23, 2010, 3:03 PM   #1

Default Making Music - Part 2, the Marimba's tale

The 'marimba' or 'kalimba' hails principally from the Far East and Africa, but I acquired mine in Stornoway, capital of the Scottish Outer Hebrides.

On holiday last August I found the main street taken over by an 'international market', with stalls offering all sorts of goods from all over the world, many with a relevant native salesperson from the country of origin. After browsing my fill in the market, I approached the harbour, and heard faint, intriguing, rather beautiful music.

Sitting on the harbour wall was a little group of teenage girls, randomly plucking at their karimba. Thinking they were busking (collecting money for playing on the street), I approached, but found they'd just bought it in the market and were just playing for fun. They told me which trinket stall to go to, manned by a huge from gentleman from Mali, and I bought one (very cheaply) as a present for my family, and it now sits in our home, to be twanged occasionally by the family musicians.
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2010, 3:05 PM   #2

Here's a close-up..
Attached Images

Old Mar 24, 2010, 3:47 AM   #3

Alan,
Lovely close-up showing the details.
Thanks for sharing
Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 5:52 AM   #4

Sorry folks, due to sloppy typing, typical senior short-term memory, and fatigue, when I said "marimba" I meant "karimba" (cf "kalimba"). However, Wikipedia does say that I'd have been accidentally correct to call it a marimba in some parts of Africa.

The term marimba, as I did know but had lately forgotten, is more commonly used for a modern percussion instrument, xylophone-like but with a different pitch.

If anyone is worried about accuracy, perhaps a moderator could adjust the heading to this thread, and then delete this post. But I don't mind looking an idiot.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 6:01 AM   #5

No worries, Alan. Not to worry. Nice shots! Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote