Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Closed Thread

Old Apr 7, 2010, 12:59 AM   #1

Default Silence is not golden

In looking over the submissions to this last challenge I was struck by how few comments were made...good, bad or otherwise. Very few offerings resulted in more than 2 or 3 comments.

How can we learn to be better photographers if no one wants to take the time to offer encouragement, suggestions, criticism, etc.? This goes for our 3 moderators as well.

If I'm going to respond to Cal's new challenge...which obviously will be quite time-consuming...I'll want to know that my efforts will result in something useful. There are plenty of other places to just post a picture. But here, we're supposedly trying to improve.

I'll try to do better myself in this regard.
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2010, 4:01 PM   #2

Difficult Walter. There're so many forums with interesting pictures to comment.
May be restricting the biweekly participation to one or two picks max per member?
Old Apr 7, 2010, 4:34 PM   #3

I think the group of three have run out of fresh ideas on subject matter. I dont understand why those who participate in the photos dont have much say in what the subject is. This latest one takes for granted everyone has someone else to help out on this. What if you dont? Whats the alternative. Right, wait until the next challenge. Then what, another lame subject. Its been pretty dull the last while. How about some change and give others some say in things. Unless this is always going to remain the challenge of the three. Just my thoughts on things.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 5:13 PM   #4

What about making it a real contest, like in the Pentax forum? One pick per member and a final poll.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 9:32 PM   #5

Although I have not had much time to participate in the challenges lately, I have looked in once in awhile. And with the few submissions I did make, I got very few if any comments on them from the mods or anyone else. This makes it very discouraging to participate.

While some of the recent challenges have been good and thought provoking, some have not been. With all the new members that have started taking part in the biweekly shoot out, how about revisiting some of the older challenges. Just my 2cents on the subject.

Last edited by Mugmar; Apr 7, 2010 at 9:35 PM.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 11:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugmar View Post
And with the few submissions I did make, I got very few if any comments on them from the mods or anyone else. This makes it very discouraging to participate.
Yes, I had the same experience in this last challenge...2 shots posted together, viewed over 60 times, but no comments. Very troubling and discouraging.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 11:49 PM   #7

Good sentiments, however, there were over 50 submissions and I just could not view them all. I enjoyed many of the pictures I did not comment on as often there just isn't time. I decided not to comment on the pictures I felt were just mediocore because to do so without corrective input just isn't fair. There were so many good ones I felt I would be just repeating myself with "nice job" "good shot." I very much like the challenge will comment more. The Pentax challenge is fun as there is a winner. Someone would have to moderate the results.

Last edited by pboerger; Apr 7, 2010 at 11:53 PM. Reason: More
Old Apr 8, 2010, 12:24 AM   #8

All of you have very valid points. Far more visitors on this site then members. Thus 50 views and maybe one comment. Rules need to be revised, say if you participate then you have to comment on at least 4 other photos. Challenges are not very interesting and this current one is a joke. I'm single, maybe I will walk my dog, have here sniff around and when she goes to the bathroom, I will shoot from that location. Will ink her paw and put on a piece of paper as her signature that I did not cheat. We also need clear cut winners. Maybe 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and a reason why they won. As it stands right now, all of us put in the effort with very little comments and no reward. Thus there is no learning process and limited motivation....
Old Apr 8, 2010, 4:44 AM   #9

1. Just another vote towards having a winner.
2. I think some of the regulars need to remember that the majority of the viewers here are new and don't necessarily have a critical eye for things. I lurk more than post but when I do post a picture I try to comment on others.
3. I don't like the idea of you must comment in order to get comments. I think that will just create more pages of the same generic positive comment which you have to weed out to find the good stuff.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 6:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2morrow View Post
1. Just another vote towards having a winner.
2. I think some of the regulars need to remember that the majority of the viewers here are new and don't necessarily have a critical eye for things. I lurk more than post but when I do post a picture I try to comment on others.
3. I don't like the idea of you must comment in order to get comments. I think that will just create more pages of the same generic positive comment which you have to weed out to find the good stuff.
Well I think the point here is no one is making comments, even the members. So when no one is commenting then your point of being redundant is false. Old or new here everyone has an opinion on what they personally see in an image. We all either like something, dont like something or are ambivalent. Just state which and why. That isnt hard is it. And its not too much to expect. On a last note if there were a contest of sorts with a top 3 places for 'winners', then we all win by learning if it is explained why they were winners.

Closed Thread