Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 27, 2010, 7:15 PM   #1
daz

Default The Magic Hour: Seattle

The whether has just been busting my tail. I know how to do this but the clouds and rain just keep coming and going. These 2 photos are the bets I have so far. As the sun was going down the clouds were a little thinner then most of the time (accept for in the middle of the day) and the rain held off till later.

DAZ
Attached Images

Painting is an additive art. The artist adds to the canvas until they stop with their version of reality. Digital photography is subtractive art. First we throw away 90 percent of reality then remove what is left bit by bit until we have only the reality we wish to show. Flickr is like fun. PPG is like work. A camera is a machine of light and time with the purpose of capturing a luminous moment. Like the eye it is a tool of the mind.
daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 27, 2010, 10:09 PM   #2

Wow, that first shot really jumps out and grabs you, nice going.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 1:03 AM   #3

Wow, the first one is really stunning - the lights really pop out!

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 9:43 PM   #4
daz

Thanks. It is good example of what all the colors you have to try to white balance to in a city. It just may not be possible.

10 seconds f/4.5 16mm ISO 100 9 exposures. Crop, up the contrast some (makes the lights on the water stand out more) and sharpen (make the lights in the city stand out more).

DAZ
Painting is an additive art. The artist adds to the canvas until they stop with their version of reality. Digital photography is subtractive art. First we throw away 90 percent of reality then remove what is left bit by bit until we have only the reality we wish to show. Flickr is like fun. PPG is like work. A camera is a machine of light and time with the purpose of capturing a luminous moment. Like the eye it is a tool of the mind.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 7:21 AM   #5

Nice shots, the first one is amazing.
dcg0317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 3:52 PM   #6

Beautiful. love the contrail in the first one. Traffic control must have told that plane to circle around...again.
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 5:37 PM   #7
daz

Several frames into the 9 frames I was committed to, a helicopter flew over the lake. It made a lazy turn to go to the right of the Space Needle then turned left behind it over the bay. He was just enjoying the view. If you look close you can see the breaks in the lights between the frames. In the full size there are some lights from planes landing at Seatac.

DAZ
Old Apr 30, 2010, 7:42 PM   #8

Daz,
For 10 secs those are pretty impressive noise levels.
As others noted, the first shot really pops.
Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 8:45 PM   #9
daz

Thanks selvin. Normally I would have had to use some noise reduction but because of how I took this photo I did not.

Warning: Technically mumbo jumbo to follow; stop reading now if not interested.

What I wanted to do is take a photo at more then 60 seconds (to get the blur I wanted in the water) at around f/4 (near the best for this lens) with low noise.

At f/4.5 this scene gives an exposure time of 10 seconds. Any longer and the sensor becomes overloaded by the lights and clips to white. Then I donít get the colors I know was there.

A 10 second exposure would not blur the water the way I wanted and would also give me some noise that I would have to scrub. Normally I would have to increase the f/stop to get a longer exposure (longer the 60 seconds) to like f/16. This would decrease resolution (not noticeable in the small size posted but not in a full size) and increase the noise requiring that the photo be heavily scrubbed for noise and loose more detail. I could also wait till later when it was darker then only go the f/8 but then I lose the blue.

My solution is to take 9 exposures at 10 seconds each into 1 photo all in camera. This gives a blur resembling a 90 second exposure with noise more like 1-2 seconds.

The more photos that I take like this the more I work at getting better at this.

DAZ