Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jul 2, 2010, 2:08 AM   #1
daz

Default Got Cell? Still waters?

This was a creek by the road I was driving next too. I took the photo on my Droid then uploaded it to Photoshop.com and used the online tools. Most of the editing was on the Droid using the online tools. A little contrast and saturation. The tools are not as easy or give the subtle control I get on the PC. I also could not resize using the online tools on the Droid. Using a PC I could use more of the online tools and resize. From there I then could save the file to my Droid and PC. I could not upload the file to the board using the phone but I can read and post even thou it is much easier on the PC so the last part of this is using a PC.

Over all it is much easier to use a DSLR and PC if I want to do anything other than a simple photo.

DAZ
Attached Images

Painting is an additive art. The artist adds to the canvas until they stop with their version of reality. Digital photography is subtractive art. First we throw away 90 percent of reality then remove what is left bit by bit until we have only the reality we wish to show. Flickr is like fun. PPG is like work. A camera is a machine of light and time with the purpose of capturing a luminous moment. Like the eye it is a tool of the mind.
daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2010, 2:17 AM   #2

beautiful, how do you achieve that. I like the picture. The water is splendid. good job
christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2010, 4:54 AM   #3
daz

Thanks for the comments Christ. Part of it is developing an “eye” for what works. Some times I have it. The “eye” is not just where to stand and what to take a photo of but also what may be in the photo that can be brought out later. In this case what information to throw away to make other things stand out. Because of the limit of the tools this is a little more heavy handed then I usually like but for a cell phone it came out OK. I this case I looked for an angle that looked to give good reflections. Then with PP I increased the contrast. This darkens some parts and makes some light parts stand out like in the water. Then I increased saturation some. This lightens (in this case) the green some making it stand out on the water more. The down side is it brightens the trees more then I would like and to sky that can be seen to almost white. All of this is throwing information away but like getting rid of the gray between something that is black and white it makes the black and white stand out more. Not by making the black blacker or the white whiter but by throwing the gray out you increase the contrast.

DAZ
Painting is an additive art. The artist adds to the canvas until they stop with their version of reality. Digital photography is subtractive art. First we throw away 90 percent of reality then remove what is left bit by bit until we have only the reality we wish to show. Flickr is like fun. PPG is like work. A camera is a machine of light and time with the purpose of capturing a luminous moment. Like the eye it is a tool of the mind.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 12:27 PM   #4

Slightly out of focus. That's a problem I have observed with cell phone cameras and earlier P&S. It is sometimes difficult to get the camera to focus properly. Even my HTC Hero with 5 mp camera has difficulty. Also, the shutter delay means you have to hold the phone very steady or brace against something until the image has been captured. I don't think they make tripods for cell phones!

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2010, 8:00 PM   #5

Cal,
I agree hand shake is a constant problem with these cameras, partly because of slow response but also with such a small form factor it hard to hold steady in aging arthritic hands.
Daz,
Despite all these caveats, the shot os really well composed and I'd loved to have seen it with a better grade camera.
Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2010, 8:45 PM   #6
daz

Thank all for the comments. There are a plethora of problems using a cell phone camera, but the challenge what to use one otherwise I would not have tried it here. I limit my use of the cell phone camera to only documenting things that I have to send to others on short notices. I recently spent days documenting a tower climbing class. If I had to use my cell phone to do this it would have been like using an old box browning. The point of all this (I assume) is to concentrate on basic photo skills like composition and less on the tools like the camera. Over all thou it make me appreciate my DSLR more.
DAZ
Old Jul 3, 2010, 1:37 PM   #7

Daz,
How many times have you been somewhere and needed to take a photo, be it documentary or artistic? You probably always have your cell phone with you. The idea of this challenge is to get to know that cell phone camera a little better. Granted, a low resolution camera limits you somewhat but one can still get some good photos with it.

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2010, 8:40 PM   #8
daz

Oh I see your point Cal. All I am saying is that it is my tool of last resort (or I need it now and then it is my go to tool) not my go to tool. This is why I doing this and why I take many photos with it (to learn its straights/weakness’) that I will probably not use.

DAZ
Old Jul 4, 2010, 12:13 AM   #9

We seem to be concentrating a tad on the pixel inadequecies of the camera. As noted one of the merits of this challenge aside from forcing us to familiarize us with the instrument is to hopefully concentrate on making the best use of the tools at hand. One thing I've noted is that the lens in these systems don't seem to be as good as the lens in the old point and shoot 2.0mp cameras. Another problem is due to the very short distance between the lens and the target CMOS or whatever capture device they are using.
Cheers
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote