Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jul 17, 2010, 6:46 PM   #1

Default Making MUSIC & Sound - Close, Medium & Far

Hi there all

I am back 'on board' these forums - but could not post in the last topic (as currently I can't transfer images from my mobile to my PCs). So I am very happy to participate again... in this topic!

These photos were taken at a classic village fair here in Australia. I think demonstrate the very different 'feeling' a photo gives depending on how close one is zoomed in. I've learned how powerful this is, and thus harnessed it in my photo composition over the years as I continue to aim to improve.

With this topic, particularly relating to sound & music, I think these series of photos really makes us 'hear' (by perception) the sound differently too. (I hope I won't be booted off the forum for posting three... but I really think these 3 'make' the series...and fit the topic to hand!)

Photo #1: CLOSE. The singer, giving it her best, putting on a beautiful, powerful, yet mellow performance.

I think we can feel the power of her song, through the capture of her emotion / face.
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2010, 6:47 PM   #2

Default Medium

Photo #2 - Medium

Then zooming out a little, I portray a bit more of her setting. Showing that she is singing, sitting, and a bit more of the environment around her.

Note - I think the guitar to her left (right side of photo) adds quite powerfully to the composition, even though it's not being played!
Attached Images

Old Jul 17, 2010, 6:51 PM   #3

Default Far

Photo #3 - Far

Finally I show the whole scene, indicating the 'classic' stage she is on ('vintage pick-up truck'), and that she performs alone (well, there was pre-recorded instrumental music being played through the speakers... but she was singing live).

The 'crowd' was sitting respectfully, comfortably in chairs at the distance I took this photo... it was truly a lovely time to listen and enjoy. At the 'barn' of an old farm setting - at that village fair. So through this final photo the viewer gets the best feeling of the setting, but I think does not 'feel' as closely connected to the singer (as the first photo best portrays, and the 2nd photo a bit too).

Thanks for looking (and listening!)

Paul
Attached Images

Old Jul 18, 2010, 12:59 AM   #4

#2 is the most "intense" to me, but every image of this series has a special "something" to add to the whole feeling/moment. Personally I think a nice lil' series can't hurt, as we see things different with our eyes and everything will be mixed together by our brain, too. So if you come back from this event you might remember certain details but also a more general/overall feeling of this scenery. A single shot can't give you that - but a series can help you to put things together again when you watch it after a while.

Hm, I lost track a bit , thanks for sharing and I think it's a great post for our challenge.

Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2010, 2:34 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Very nicely done Paul, looks like it would have been a fun place to hang out

Glad you are fully back with us.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2010, 2:22 AM   #6

I fear Ive missed a lot by not visiting more threads more often. This is a nice set Paul. Love that truck.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2010, 10:11 AM   #7

The wrinkled forehead conveys her passion and intensity. Gotta love the old truck.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2010, 7:55 AM   #8

thkn777: thanks for your insightful comments. I think you've summed up very well how 'helpful' photos can be in not only retaining memories of events, but help us review them often picking up new things. It's interesting you find photo 2 the most intense, and that might be a very individual thing, so thanks for sharing (I always appreciate getting peoples emotional response to my photos too).

Mark - cheers for your comments. You're right - it was definitely a 'chill' hang out for a few songs. Glad to BE back too! :-)

Bynx, you've not missed as much as I have! Absence only makes the hearts grow fonder. Cheers!

Walter - thanks for for your feedback too. I can really relate to what you wrote - that 'wrinkle detail' spoke loudly to me too.

Cheers all!!
Old Jul 21, 2010, 12:18 PM   #9

What a wonderful backdrop to sit and listen to some good music.
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2010, 12:37 PM   #10

These nice picks fit the challenge perfectly.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote