Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:10 PM   #1
daz

Default Geometry in Composition: Bothell landing

Some like color and some B&W. Color is like "eye candy" but I think the B&W shows off the geometry better. I also did it in sepia but some are not into that kind of thing.

DAZ
Attached Images

Painting is an additive art. The artist adds to the canvas until they stop with their version of reality. Digital photography is subtractive art. First we throw away 90 percent of reality then remove what is left bit by bit until we have only the reality we wish to show. Flickr is like fun. PPG is like work. A camera is a machine of light and time with the purpose of capturing a luminous moment. Like the eye it is a tool of the mind.
daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2010, 8:46 AM   #2

Hi Daz

Nice old/classic bridge - and well reflected. I'm not usually into B&W, but this one works for me (too) - but I still probably prefer the colour version.
Is it made entirely of wood? Nice 'bow' to the bottom of it too (it's not straight).
Thanks for sharing.
Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 9:37 AM   #3
daz

Thanks for the comments.

Most of the bridge is wood (engineered wood like plywood on the walking deck and some laminated wood beams) with steel reinforcing on the joints and steel cables you canít really see from this angle. Most of the bridge has weathered to a gray and the steel is galvanized so you donít really see the steel. It sits on concrete but that to is well hidden. Overall it blends well together and looks like something that could have been built when the riverboat made its regular stop here that gave it its name. That is one of the reasons I made a sepia tone version for myself to see what it may have looked like way back when.

This whole park/museum is an interesting place and I may have some more photos for the challenge from here to show later.

DAZ
Painting is an additive art. The artist adds to the canvas until they stop with their version of reality. Digital photography is subtractive art. First we throw away 90 percent of reality then remove what is left bit by bit until we have only the reality we wish to show. Flickr is like fun. PPG is like work. A camera is a machine of light and time with the purpose of capturing a luminous moment. Like the eye it is a tool of the mind.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 12:49 PM   #4

Well done, both are spectacular. The B&W does work really well here. Steve
Old Sep 12, 2010, 3:07 PM   #5

I agree that the BW treatment seems to be better than the color. Strictly personal tho.

Good work.
Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 3:44 PM   #6
daz

Thanks for the comments. The hardest part of this photos was waiting for the sculls, the cat and all the people trying to kill the ducks and geese to stop so the water would comedown. Mostly the people trying to kill the ducks and geese. If they had not been at it I could have gotten the photo much earlier.

DAZ
Old Sep 12, 2010, 9:01 PM   #7

I actually like the color version with its subtle shades of green.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2010, 3:58 PM   #8

Although both shots have exactly the same composition, they are very much different. I like the BW version for the reasons you mentioned. I like the bold colors in the second.

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:26 PM   #9

I vote for both of them!
mike_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 6:05 AM   #10

Both are very nice and fit the challenge, but I prefer the color, such beautiful greens!
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote