Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Oct 21, 2010, 8:28 PM   #1

Default Sports--Fall Ride

These riders are completing the 58th mile of a century ride-this group will ultimately ride 100 miles on this day. If the lead rider looks happy it's probably because the the group has just crested a big hill (Kansas is NOT all flat!) and are getting ready to start the long downhill on the other side. I rode about 40 miles of this ride (it's done in loops) and then took photos for the remainder of the day. This was a local century ride a couple of weeks ago.
Attached Images

spedangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2010, 8:46 PM   #2

spedangie,
Looks a bit like a scene from the "Ironman Triathlon". For those not familiar with the term Ironman Triathlon, it is the registered trademark of one of the most gruelling races in the world. Swim 2.4 miles, bike 112 miles, and run a marathon all in 17 hours.
The world finalists compete in the Hawaii (Big Island) version which has the foot and bike races across desert like conditions.
You've captured them quite well.
Cheers
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 9:14 PM   #3

I can attest that Kansas is hillier than most people realize, especially the eastern part of the state. When I lived in Kansas, there were some hills on my bike route that I couldn't peddle up, and I had to get off and walk up (I'm sure it had nothing to do with me being overweight and out of shape )

spedangie, if you're posting Milford lake sunsets, then you must have got these guys somewhere on 77?
Green Eyed Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 11:28 PM   #4

You are absolutely correct! This was taken on U.S. 77 a couple of miles south of Junction City, just north of where Lyons Creek Road crosses. I live on Highway 77 north of Junction City, about 4 miles south of the city of Milford. I have made it up (slowly) every hill around here, but there are a couple of hills in the Manhattan area that I have ridden in the past, but I'm not sure I could successfully chug up these days.

Last edited by spedangie; Oct 21, 2010 at 11:31 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 11:35 PM   #5

Selvin--I have a friend from high school who has done the Ironman twice.
She actually had to learn to swim to compete, but learn she did and she did very well both times. I've done short triathalons, but I could NEVER have managed something as amazing as the Ironman is.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 4:14 AM   #6

spedangie,

Your friend deserves all the accolades she can get even the regular triathalons are a really tough.
Cheers
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote