Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Oct 31, 2010, 9:18 AM   #1

Default Sport-Workinng Stockdog Trial

This is an archive-tho I do actual work with my dogs everyday havent been to a trial this year to take any photos.
Little info for those not familiar with working stockdog trials. This is at a freestanding pen-out in open away from fences-that dog has to put the cattle/sheep into as one of the obstacles of the course. The two cows watching is at the mouth of the pen, this one tried to bypass and go around, the dog is blocking it, making it turn back to go around the gate and into the pen. There are many levels of difficulty of obstacles at trials..some are quite challenging for dog and handler. This is usually a fairly easy one. Most have time limits to complete the course anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes.

Dennis
Old Nov 2, 2010, 2:55 AM   #2

Is that the same dog as in your avatar Dennis? I've seen dogs working cattle out on the stations, but never in a trial.

There are sheepdog trials here in May each year at the annual Wool Expo. There are the same free-standing trials with three sheep as you have explained above and there are the yard dog trials which are my favourite. Hope you don't mind, but I'd like to show you a snap I took at this year's Expo. It shows a dog running along the backs of the sheep forcing them up the race and packing them in tight. (Actually I got him turning round to go back and push them up again.) Working dogs are really great animals and so enthusiastic about their tasks.

Name:  p5094929b.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  251.5 KB

(The Wool Expo is held on the creeklands in the middle of town.)

A good pic Dennis.

Cheers

Bernice
Old Nov 2, 2010, 7:29 AM   #3

Most my dogs are black like this one, hard for me to tell apart at times, but this is not the same dog. We have different names for type of trials but yes, your yard type,called ranch here, trials is what I like the best also, to run in and watch. Thanks for the pic, always enjoy looking at working stockdogs. Only one of my dogs will back sheep like in your pic. I dont have a race so use alleyway of barn. Wolf packs them in, then backs them to the front, drops down, and pushes back to me one at at time as I worm them and put out the door. One very challenging obstacle is the Maltese cross, think of a big 't' made out of gates, start 5 sheep/cattle thru one leg- first two go straight, next 1-3 goes left at intersection and rest got straight again, very challenging.
Thanks for comments, pic and taking the time to look.
Dennis